Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disdain for "the poors"

Disdain for "the poors"

I hang out a variety of places online besides SLF. One right leaning, others a mix. Variety of FB groups. There is a huge disdain for what people refer to as "the poors" in all of these places.

All of these people must either still be doing very well or hiding they're in trouble themselves. There is absolutely no compassion for people in financial trouble. It's all considered to be their own fault if they're in trouble. If middle class people need help due to inflation, oh, well, their fault. I'm even seeing this from a lot of people on the left.

On any of the financial shows on the radio, it's all about stock market investments. Almost nothing about help for more average people.

What are you seeing?

The only similar sentiment I see is frustration with the homeless situation, which is understandable, considering its impact, especially on the west coast.

"I've got mine; to hell with you!" is not a new concept in this country, but it never used to be mainstream. Sign of our selfish times, I guess.

I see what seems to me endless yapping of platitudes about how we as a society need to help everyone. And then, there’s the ever popular finger-pointing about using wrong terms for societal victims. Lots, I mean LOTS of one-upmanship about who is woker than who, and who is a bigger victim is what I see.

As example, Jane is using an insensitive term. We must digitally slap her for using the word “homeless.“ The respectful term is “unhoused.” Jane get with the program!

So see? I am more woke than Jane and I made the world better because I b-slapped Jane. My work is done, my good deed for the day completed.

Or something like that, that seems to be how it works out in the blogosphere. There’s a lot of nattering about nothing.

Where I live, there seems to be a difference in the attitudes towards the locally-sourced "poors", and the attitudes towards the outsider grifters who have somehow decided to go to the trouble and expense to get over here, in the hopes that our welcoming and supportive community will support them too.

We also have a good solid stream of "begpackers" who aren't looked especially fondly upon.

Anyways, the ferry ride back to the mainland is free, and there are far more services and resources available there.

In my city, the general populace has been very tolerant of vagrants and folks who prefer to live outside of which there are many. There are charities and church groups that feed and pick up after them endlessly. Volunteer groups ditto. The fire department puts out their non-stop fires. I have lost my patience with that segment though I know they are drug addicted and mentally ill for the most part. The local indy paper did an in-depth piece that delved into the lives of several homeless people. Hard upbringings so they did not have the life skills to get by. These are societal issues long in the making and I wonder often about the future as incomes can't keep up with expenses for those who are at least trying.

"As example, Jane is using an insensitive term. We must digitally slap her for using the word “homeless.“ The respectful term is “unhoused.” Jane get with the program!"

The politically correct PNW term is "houseless." which is ridiculous, seeing how expensive actual houses are around here. I'll stick with homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "As example, Jane is using an insensitive term. We must digitally slap her for using the word “homeless.“ The respectful term is “unhoused.” Jane get with the program!"

The politically correct PNW term is "houseless." which is ridiculous, seeing how expensive actual houses are around here. I'll stick with homeless.
    Houseless! I’ve not heard that one. With the PNW being coastal and therefore more advanced than I am here in flyover country, I accept your superior wokeNess. I just slapped my own hand.

Okay---can we talk about Very Important Things? Complaining about the poor and stupid losers is not a bad thing; just don't get stuck on any particular group, or you'll bee deemed one of the "-ists". But yeah---those of us who are more sophisticated have a deserved tendency to find fault with Those People. All there is to it. Hope that helps you kids some. Thank mee. Too bad Ed Sullivan isn't on, any more. Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Houseless! I’ve not heard that one. With the PNW being coastal and therefore more advanced than I am here in flyover country, I accept your superior wokeNess. I just slapped my own hand.
    Regionalisms.

And I'm not particularly "woke"--I'd like to have seen a swift, decisive response to our homeless situation, but instead, we've just stood around wringing our hands for years and passing unhelpful legislation while the problem grew like the Blob.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Regionalisms.
    Well, I live in the PNW, and when we did our County annual point-in-time survey, it used the term "homeless"

The 2022 San Juan County “Point-In Time” Homeless Count identified 146 people who have no stable place to live, an increase from the 2020 count of 133.

Of the 146 people identified as having no stable place to live, 58 people were living out of doors, in vehicles, in abandoned buildings, or in an RV or boat that lacked one of the following: drinking water, a restroom, heat, the ability to cook food, or the ability to bathe.

The remaining 88 were at risk of homelessness. These families reside in temporary, unstable living arrangements with family and/or friends, or live in substandard housing. The 2020 count found 66 homeless and 67 at risk of homelessness. In 2019, the count found 67 people homeless and 82 at risk of homelessness. Due to COVID-19 concerns no Point in Time Count was held in Washington in 2021.

Thread Information