Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You're sure to fall in love with old Cape Cod

You're sure to fall in love with old Cape Cod

I've lived in Massachusetts for my entire life, but I've only been to the Cape twice, and not since I was about 10 years old. We live north of Boston, so points south involve going through the city, which is an appalling prospect for people who spent so many years commuting in & out of Boston. We just tend to go north for our seaside visits (and we only live a couple of miles away from the ocean).
    Anyway, last weekend we did a one-night overnight to visit a friend in Hyannis. She was housesitting and dogsitting at a wonderful waterfront home with so many charming features - garden, pergola, art studio, etc. We had amazing weather in the seventies and did some lovely beach walking, then had a great seafood dinner at the Black Cat Tavern. DH and I spent the night at the Holiday Inn in Falmouth using a free reward night that was going to expire at the end of the year. We were very strategic in our travel times, heading to the Cape on Sunday about 11:00 AM, and returning Monday at 11:30 AM, so traffic was not bad. I think we will probably go again sometime and explore the area a bit more (definitely during the off-season).
    DH really likes that old Patti Page song, so I've gotten to hear it plenty in the past week, and it's kind of stuck in my head.

I have only been to Cape Cod once, 40 years ago. It sounds wonderful, and Id be yearning to retire there if I lived in Massachusetts.

I was there once before I was married, and in 1980 we spent two weeks in Nantucket, which was really beautiful. It definitely is a special place. I don't know the Patti Page song, though..
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I was there once before I was married, and in 1980 we spent two weeks in Nantucket, which was really beautiful. It definitely is a special place. I don't know the Patti Page song, though..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVsQeWho5hU

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I have only been to Cape Cod once, 40 years ago. It sounds wonderful, and Id be yearning to retire there if I lived in Massachusetts.
    That's interesting to me since you live in Maine. I figure coastal Maine has everything Cape Cod has, and for that matter, I can find pretty much find everything in my general area north of Boston. I'm more drawn to Maine than Cape Cod myself, but I'm sure that's largely because I have so many happy Maine vacation memories.
    Official inventory:
    Sand dunes - check
    Salty air - check
    Quaint little villages - check
    Lobster stew - check
    Ocean view - check
    Winding roads - check
    Miles of green - check
    Skies of blue - check
    Church bells - check
    Moonlight over Cape Cod Bay - OK, this one is certainly a Cape Cod exclusive, but moonlight over a bay, check.

Here's a silly one DH just brought to my attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rXaIQZU9bI

I know I would like living in all these places, Maine, Cape Cod, etc. ‘ cept for those winters.

I'll only go to the Cape off season. With only 2 ways on and off (bridges), traffic is horrendous. I'll take Maine any day.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I'll only go to the Cape off season. With only 2 ways on and off (bridges), traffic is horrendous. I'll take Maine any day.
    What I meant was emphasis on "if I lived in Mass" which I don't.

I haven't seen any Maine beaches that appeal to me like the Cape Cod beaches. My first marriage, honeymoon was on Martha's Vineyard--I forgot that until Catherine mentioned Nantucket!

I like sandy beaches, like the ones I grew up with back home in Georgia and South Carolina. Would prefer to go back South to have my beaches back.

We laugh up here because they define "oceanside" as anything located near a bay miles and miles from the ocean.

My brother just scattered my dad's ashes in the ocean on the island where he lives in Maine and all they could do was scatter him on the rocks and wait for the tide to come in.

Not appealing to me.

Tybee: Oh, gotcha. Crescent Beach State Park is a wonderful sandy beach, although I should add that we are beach walkers, not swimmers or sunbathers. We stayed at Inn by the Sea back in 2007 when it was merely very expensive rather than totally out of reach for us, and we enjoyed walking Crescent Beach every day while we were there. There are also a couple of nice sandy beaches on Prout's Neck (we had stayed at the Black Point Inn in 2004 and enjoyed beach walking there as well).

Thread Information