Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are today's Helen and Scott Nearing?

Who are today's Helen and Scott Nearing?

I have to admit, my icons and inspirations for Simple Living at this point are "old school" and probably out-of-date. Newer generations will hardly know of them: For me, that includes the Nearings and William Coperthwaite, Daniel Quinn, Duane Elgin. In the frugality domain, that would be Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez, Amy D, Jim Merkel and Jacob Lund Fisker. In the spiritual simplicity domaine, that would be Peace Pilgrim.

Who are the standard bearers for simple living for the younger generation? You younger folk please speak up. Who is inspiring you? In terms of high profile younger simple livers, there's Rob Greenfield, but I somehow can't take him that seriously.

So, what do you think? Who is inspiring younger people these days?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Okay---I can tell you the answer to that; It's one word: Littlebittybobby. You better believe it. Today, it's in the 20's outside. I'm burning used cat litter inside, to keep warm. Yup.

I have met several young couples here who I would call "homesteaders" and there must be influencers in that realm.

Maybe the Frugalwoods couple

Maybe the Frugalwoods couple
    I think their names is maybe a misnomer now. They are fairly transparent on their spending and have been listing things like season passes and all new ski equipment for the 4 of them, $700 in July for restaurants and buying a NEW "new car". I don't begrudge them anything, I just wouldn't call them frugal.

I looked at the Frugalwoods site; it has changed a lot since I first saw a few years back. Lots of sponsored links.

The last famous frugal person I remember is Ed Begley Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I think their names is maybe a misnomer now. They are fairly transparent on their spending and have been listing things like season passes and all new ski equipment for the 4 of them, $700 in July for restaurants and buying a NEW "new car". I don't begrudge them anything, I just wouldn't call them frugal.
    I agree. I have followed them for awhile and I read her book. They used some sound frugal techniques and smart financial moves to build the lifestyle they wanted, but in many ways it's a rather lavish lifestyle, even if it's on a "homestead."

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I agree. I have followed them for awhile and I read her book. They used some sound frugal techniques and smart financial moves to build the lifestyle they wanted, but in many ways it's a rather lavish lifestyle, even if it's on a "homestead."
    Indeed. He was working for Act Blue and pulling in something like 400k a year. So lot of resources there to work with. The gasoline poweredwoodsplitter, etc. Although boy, if I made 400k a year I would absolutely buy a 60 acre spread in Vermont and a woodsplitter too. My 67 year old woodsplitter has been out there splitting wood this week and I am terrified he is going to cut off a hand and then it would be assisted living in a condo for us.

Amy D was the best!

Yes, Amy D was the real deal. The Frugalwoods are more like frugal yuppies, a very upscale version of frugal, although I say this knowing that I probably have more in common with them than with Amy (although they are certainly wealthier than I am).

Thread Information