Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Population 8 billion

Population 8 billion

The global population has surpassed 8 billion.

In October 2011 the population was 7 billion.

"Oh, the humanity!"

It seems inevitable that in wealthier countries the price of foods will increase. And in the poorer countries there will be food shortages and hunger.

At an individual level, it may be a good time to store beans and TVP, bulgur, rice, and millet... and keep the greens growing in the hydroponic set-up.

From what I read, the population has already started to decline. Certainly it has in industrialized countries.

Okay---that population boom is a prime reason that control of the Ukraine is an issue, yet again. It also should make people concerned about how the land resources of the midwestern USA are being squandered on producing meat and motor fuel. Unless an asteroid strikes before long, it's going to be an issue. Way more than the frivolous issues the Pubs & Dems are presently bickering about. Yup.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The global population has surpassed 8 billion.

In October 2011 the population was 7 billion.

"Oh, the humanity!"

It seems inevitable that in wealthier countries the price of foods will increase. And in the poorer countries there will be food shortages and hunger.

At an individual level, it may be a good time to store beans and TVP, bulgur, rice, and millet... and keep the greens growing in the hydroponic set-up.
    What kind of hydroponic setup do you have?

My experiment has recently been with sourdough. Fabulous nann
    and Crusty rolls and loaves. Once you get going, you can add spices , seeds and vary the flours like rye or spelt flour as you get experienced. Cinnamon or savory spices, cheese, caramelized onions and garlic work great once you figure it out.

Also having a repertoire of soups and casseroles with beans or lentils as the star ingredient is a great way to stretch your food budget. and all are better for the planet and inject much less waste and plastic into the waste stream. Water, landfills and processed food production are all endangered species as our population grows.

Yppej
    So much for covid being a big killer a la 1918 Spanish flu. If you didn't believe covid was hyped, believe it now.

One of the surest ways to decrease the number of kids a woman is going to have is education. But that doesn’t happen overnight. And in some countries, very likely never will.

More educated women=fewer children

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    What kind of hydroponic setup do you have?

I use 2 Aerogarden units, each plugged into a different electric outlet in the basement laundry room. The unit comes as a plastic kit with an immersible pump and LED lights. On one stand the unit has 6 holes in the deck, and on the other stand the other unit has 9 holes. 2022-2023 is the third year of operation, as I recall. I am growing 15 babyleaf lettuce plants ("Lalique" variety). I bought pelletized seed from Johnny's in Winslow ME.

I use Aerogarden brand Liquid Plant Food from a 1L bottle with application instructions for 6-pod and 9-pod Aerogardens.

(I believe I paid a premium price per growing pod for the convenience and ease of assembly with Aerogardens.)

I bought replacement peat immersible seed/root holders from AMZN.

In months when it is too cold for a vegetable garden, I also grow sprouts (currently fenugreek and radish) in 2 "EasySprout" cups that I bought from AMZN.

And year-round I grow 4 Okinawa Spinach plants potted in large bisque clay pots, which I move out to the garden in summer and back in onto the sunporch for winter. I bought the Okinawa Spinach plants from the Winter Greenhouse, near Winter, WI.

Thank you Dado. I’m going to look into an aero garden. Also we used to travel in an RV 6 months plus short trips but since DH has been sick we have stuck close to home and sold the RV. Except to visit the kids occasionally when he is well enough I’m home and can tend to plants. I’m in Florida so it’s a whole different ballgame here.

I have several small aerogarden units and have been very happy with them.

Thank you Bae. Does anyone grow or use micro greens? Something I’ve been reading about.

Thread Information