Thread: Chinese Protests

Chinese Protests

Looking at how swiftly and effectively the CCP is crushing the recent wave of protests over some of their more brutish COVID policies, I’m struck by how far the technology of oppression has progressed. In 1989 it was tanks and clubs in the grand communist tradition. In 2022, we see the utilization of a sophisticated “social credit” system, cops checking cell phones for VPN and outlawed social media platforms, and officials calling people to warn them off protesting based on algorithms, “Minority Report” style.

Compare that to the crude rape and murder tactics of Russia in Ukraine, and I think we are looking at the future of totalitarianism.

The CCP can turn your phone yellow, meaning exposed to covid, and you are locked out of your apartment complex. People are sleeping on the streets in tents.

This is a very brutal regime, which among other things has killed people's pets in the name of covid control.

And sadly, there are many public health officials here including Fauci who praised them and said we should emulate them.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Compare that to the crude rape and murder tactics of Russia in Ukraine, and I think we are looking at the future of totalitarianism.
    In the 1990s, my company designed and built the first real commercial caching proxy servers. Internet bandwidth was expensive and scarce at the time, so many countries ran their entire traffic entering/exiting their countries through our products, and used them internally as well.

China was one of our customers, though we were hesitant, as they'd cloned products from some of our previous companies before(*). After they'd been using our servers for a bit, they asked for some product changes. Some of them were reasonable, some would clearly allow them to monitor and control the activity of individuals on the Internet. My engineering team refused our management's request to implement these features, as we thought they'd use the features to crack down on dissidents, and frankly, kill people.

(*) One of our previous companies made some of the first commercial Internet routers/gateways/secure communications products. China bought a handful of our things, then cloned the hardware and software. Alas, they cloned them all too well, except they missed a bug in our hardware, so when we pushed a few new software releases to get around it for legitimate customers, it turned all of the cloned products into bricks. Too bad.

I just did a paper on Xingjiang, where even the kitchen knives have GPS trackers. They also send people to live in your home and spy on you.

I wonder what percentage of Chinese GDP goes toward repression.

Thread Information