Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Are you preparing for supply chain disruptions?

Well, the Doomsday Press says that the Ohio train derailment was part of a conspiracy to impact the food supply chain. Evidently, almost every faction is involved in it, including the cover up. Yup. I do not know. But yeah---for peace of mind, DO stock up on cattt food. Yup. Hope that helps you some.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    Well, the Doomsday Press says that the Ohio train derailment was part of a conspiracy to impact the food supply chain. Evidently, almost every faction is involved in it, including the cover up. Yup. I do not know. But yeah---for peace of mind, DO stock up on cattt food. Yup. Hope that helps you some.
    Cat food shortages are the possibility that really worries me. I have quite a stash built up. We had trouble previously finding preferred types and flavors locally, so it became kind of a treasure hunt, and I bought some types by the case from Chewy.

Fortunately, cats (and dogs) can eat meat.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Fortunately, cats (and dogs) can eat meat.
    And luckily, tourists are made out of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Oddly this reminds me of a work call I was on today. Coworker was talking about having a pot bellied pig and that the running joke was always that whenever she was in the kitchen she was told she could be bacon... Then one day they'd taken her to a bbq at a friend's house and a pork rib fell on the ground. She happily lunged at it and ate it up. Coworker was like "she understood that pigs get eaten." (for the record she never got eaten. Sensing that we were all slightly creeped out coworker clarified that she lived to be 15 and died of old age and was cremated and her ashes are now in a box in their living room...)

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Oddly this reminds me of a work call I was on today. Coworker was talking about having a pot bellied pig and that the running joke was always that whenever she was in the kitchen she was told she could be bacon... Then one day they'd taken her to a bbq at a friend's house and a pork rib fell on the ground. She happily lunged at it and ate it up. Coworker was like "she understood that pigs get eaten." (for the record she never got eaten. Sensing that we were all slightly creeped out coworker clarified that she lived to be 15 and died of old age and was cremated and her ashes are now in a box in their living room...)
    This reminds me of the vegans who are always mewling "Won't somebody think of the animals?" when animals themselves have no such compunctions.

Born in L.A.-NYC 2nd Home-Rustbelt is home base
    Yes OP, but I could have done much more. I squandered lots of $$ and time in my previous YOLO life.

When it comes to canned food...go for non pop-top cans if you have a choice. Traditional canned goods generally hold up better than pop-top cans.

Walmart has good prices on canned food, although they have gone up on some things by 20% or more. Before you bulk up, buy a few cans and try them. See how you react to them. No use buying something that gives you heartburn or tastes bad. Walmart has a pro can opener for about $10. Best I've ever used. Smooth as silk when in operation. Make sure you got a supply of good can openers.

Store your canned good in the cardboard flats they come in. For deep preps, get chrome wire shelving and go up to the ceiling with it. Keep adding tubes and shelves until you get to the max height. Have them on high quality casters and have 2 layers of them in front of each other. You roll out the front shelving unit to get to the rear unit.

I like chrome wire shelving as it is very adaptable and standardized to filling even odd spaces. My walls are short. If your walls are a decent length, you could have 500 linear feet of shelving easily.

When I moved here, they had one narrow 10-foot long by 10-inch-wide wood shelf on the wall. I removed it and went from one 10 linear foot wood shelf of storage to 120 linear feet of shelving with just one layer of shelving on 1-1/2 walls. And as a bonus, my shelf width went from 10 inches deep of wood to 18 inches deep of chrome wire.

If you already have built-in wood shelving, you can add another layer of roll-out chrome wire shelving in front of it. Just get the big, easy roll casters.

Quote Originally Posted by invisibleflash View Post
    Yes OP, but I could have done much more. I squandered lots of $$ and time in my previous YOLO life.

When it comes to canned food...go for non pop-top cans if you have a choice. Traditional canned goods generally hold up better than pop-top cans.

Walmart has good prices on canned food, although they have gone up on some things by 20% or more. Before you bulk up, buy a few cans and try them. See how you react to them. No use buying something that gives you heartburn or tastes bad. Walmart has a pro can opener for about $10. Best I've ever used. Smooth as silk when in operation. Make sure you got a supply of good can openers.

Store your canned good in the cardboard flats they come in. For deep preps, get chrome wire shelving and go up to the ceiling with it. Keep adding tubes and shelves until you get to the max height. Have them on high quality casters and have 2 layers of them in front of each other. You roll out the front shelving unit to get to the rear unit.

I like chrome wire shelving as it is very adaptable and standardized to filling even odd spaces. My walls are short. If your walls are a decent length, you could have 500 linear feet of shelving easily.

When I moved here, they had one narrow 10-foot long by 10-inch-wide wood shelf on the wall. I removed it and went from one 10 linear foot wood shelf of storage to 120 linear feet of shelving with just one layer of shelving on 1-1/2 walls. And as a bonus, my shelf width went from 10 inches deep of wood to 18 inches deep of chrome wire.

If you already have built-in wood shelving, you can add another layer of roll-out chrome wire shelving in front of it. Just get the big, easy roll casters.
    So, Invisible, what would you do in my situation. When I lived in NJ there were certain flats of cans I always bought at Costco. Diced tomatoes, baked beans, etc.-things we used a lot. They were stored in the basement.

When we moved to VT I did the same thing, and stored them outside in my shed, and I learned Winter #1 that I can't do that. They freeze and get nasty. What is your solution for that? We have no storage in the house--no attic and no basement (just a small crawlspace, and I'm not going to heat up the shed just for a bunch of canned goods. So I don't have much of a stockpile of anything.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, Invisible, what would you do in my situation. When I lived in NJ there were certain flats of cans I always bought at Costco. Diced tomatoes, baked beans, etc.-things we used a lot. They were stored in the basement.

When we moved to VT I did the same thing, and stored them outside in my shed, and I learned Winter #1 that I can't do that. They freeze and get nasty. What is your solution for that? We have no storage in the house--no attic and no basement (just a small crawlspace, and I'm not going to heat up the shed just for a bunch of canned goods. So I don't have much of a stockpile of anything.
    catherine, your dilemma reminds me of some of the older "small space storage" articles I used to read. Most popular suggestions were, of course, under the beds and sofa. There was also the one to stack table-high, place something rigid of the same size on top, and throw a tablecloth over it as an instant side table.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information