Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sporadic store closings

sporadic store closings

Quite a few stores in our area are now open when and if they can due to decreased staff or ongoing theft issues. Since it is a pretty day, after lunch I walked a mile to the local Dollar Store a mile away only to find a sign on the door stating they would be randomly closed due to staffing issues. Lots of frustrated shoppers similarly irritated outside. Yesterday, I tried to get some photos developed at Walgreen's - ditto. Nextdoor says this is going on all over the city. The Covid weirdness continues...is this just a big city thing I wonder??

Nope. All over. Various discussions being held. One young man, with a "minor" criminal background, asked where he might find a job and got over 50 responses on Nextdoor from a wide variety of locations looking for hires. Our school districts are having huge issues with everyone from bus drivers to teachers.

I wonder when companies and government trying to hire will make the process easier on both sides and take a close look at their job requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Quite a few stores in our area are now open when and if they can due to decreased staff or ongoing theft issues. Since it is a pretty day, after lunch I walked a mile to the local Dollar Store a mile away only to find a sign on the door stating they would be randomly closed due to staffing issues. Lots of frustrated shoppers similarly irritated outside. Yesterday, I tried to get some photos developed at Walgreen's - ditto. Nextdoor says this is going on all over the city. The Covid weirdness continues...is this just a big city thing I wonder??

every business has help wanted signs in windows.

anyone who says they cannot get a job is a liar. We can put a positive chit in President Bidenís column for a super strong job market during his Presidency.

I had a minor transaction at the bank yesterday. They had a big "now hiring" sign. Starting at $20/hr. and up. I'm normally in and out in 10 minutes or so for a similar things. There did not seem to be much staff around and not many customers. I had a half hour wait and another half hour working with a new employee. I speculated short staffing. Bank jobs seem like they would be pretty cush for $20./hr. Maybe benefits and advancement chances. Bankers hours.

So how are all these missing employees paying their bills I wonder??

Bank jobs seem like they would be pretty cush for $20./hr. Maybe benefits and advancement chances. Bankers hours.
    in some ways, of course they also regularly get robbed, which is not everyone's definition of cushy.
    Trees don't grow on money

In our city, it is the various dollar stores that are robbed on a consistent basis. They basically have no security, few employees and deal in more cash. They are dangerous places to work just like convenience/gas stations. Heck, in some parts it is dangerous to just stop and get gas.

I have not come across any of these sporadic closings, but I do see signs of slightly reduced hours.

I have not seen this in our area. The closest thing I've seen is a trend with restaurants having reduced days/hours.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I have not seen this in our area. The closest thing I've seen is a trend with restaurants having reduced days/hours.
    Yes, that too. And reduced services.
    I still don’t know whenever I go to McDonald’s if the inside store will be open. They always run their drive up service tho.

Some months ago I stayed at a hotel that was grossly understaffed in the restaurant. Probably grossly understaffed elsewhere. They were using as staff in a couple of places young people who are obviously on the spectrum. I thought that was great because these kids might not have gotten a job otherwise, and they were doing an excellent job.

Thread Information