Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you spending less on Christmas this year?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Are you spending less on Christmas this year?

I for sure am. Although I have my inflation workarounds I find myself very reluctant to spend money these days - this at a time when I am ironically making the best money I ever have.

For me things look more uncertain than I have ever seen in my 56 years. Putin invading Ukraine and overthrowing the illusion that anything was learned from WW2 did it for me. I have decided to help pay tuition - private school and much cheaper than US tuition - for one of.my relatives kids in Nogales and a few token gifts for others. But really not spending much this year. Rob

No. We are doing a little better financially now than we have in a long, long time. Don't get me wrong... I'm not going crazy, but I have increased our holiday donations as well as bought a few *extras" for some family/friends.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Not at all. I have not felt for years the need to participate in gifting frenzy and so I don’t care about what I spend on it.

Since we started Secret Santa last year, our Christmas expenses have definitely decreased! Maybe they have been somewhat offset by more gifts to grandkids, but overall there is much less stress and much less money spent as a result of only having to buy for one adult in the family. We have a $75 cap.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I stopped exchanging gifts with friends many years ago. I only buy for a few people and just small gifts such as if I find a new fancy coffee for my son to try. Now if I had grandkids that would be different.

rob, funding an education is a lifelong present and a good thing. My brother is funding our stepsister's college. Thinking of her future. It will give her a chance. Lasts longer and has more impact than any ordinary Xmas present.

Yppej
    I am spending about the same and getting people fancy foods they might not get themselves because of food inflation. Consumables are also good for the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am spending about the same and getting people fancy foods they might not get themselves because of food inflation. Consumables are also good for the environment.
    Consumables are the best--at least in terms of storage.

Pretty much the same, but my Christmas is pretty pared down compared with the average. Teenaged goddaughter got some cash in a card at T’giving since I’ll be out of town at Christmas. Spent about $200 on cards and postage. This is very important to me. I get a lot of cards in return and it really makes the season for me. I took the $50 I would have spent on baking ingredients and donated it to my local food pantry, who needs it a lot more than we need calories on the hips.

The past N years, my friends and family have mostly exchanged food items or experiences, so I don't see much change happening. I made a couple of large vats of kimchee that I'll put in nice Le Parfait jars and hand out. And tons of jam.

Thread Information