Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Green people insisting you get rid of your car

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    This is what I love about the book Bright Green Lies--it points out the problem of forming a monolithic, mainstream environmental coalition with a list of immutable "rules"--one of them being "Thou shalt push for renewables no matter what."
    I'm watching a YT interview with Lierre Keith describing her long, disastrous life with veganism. She seems like a lovely person, and I learned a lot from The Vegetarian Myth. I'll check out Bright Green Lies.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I have to think that grass-fed meat that I source from my neighbor's farm, where I can see the animals everyday, and where the animals are processed on-site, is perhaps more "eco" than vegetarian ingredients grown across the country and shipped here.
    Pasture-raised meat (frankly, any meat) is far and away better for the ecosystem than most of what we do to produce food.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm watching a YT interview with Lierre Keith describing her long, disastrous life with veganism. She seems like a lovely person, and I learned a lot from The Vegetarian Myth. I'll check out Bright Green Lies.
    Yes, she is wonderfully articulate and passionate about the environment and feminism. I have The Vegetarian Myth--very good book.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Tradd: Sounds like you have some weird friends.

That is pretty funny coming from someone with five kids. The logic definitely breaks down.

I have to think that grass-fed meat that I source from my neighbor's farm, where I can see the animals everyday, and where the animals are processed on-site, is perhaps more "eco" than vegetarian ingredients grown across the country and shipped here.
    That is indeed nice, but in the world that most people live in it is not an available reality. I try hard not to pass judgment on people's diets, but there are some undeniable consequences of the standard large scale industrial animal production.

There is one so called locavore small grocery with in driving distance of my home. The cost of meats is probably prohibitive for most budgets, especially a family. The standard supermarket where I shop has what they call grass fed beef and I noticed one it came from South America.

I go by the Monterey Aquarium ratings for rare seafood purchases and there are not a lot of options in the standard supermarket. Someone must buy a lot of salmon, as large fillets are always featured. A wise eye could find plenty of environmental problems with salmon aquaculture. Not to mention shrimp culture.

I think I’m paying $4.25/lb for the cow that is arriving next week. It’s cheaper than bok choy.

I think I’m paying $4.25/lb for the cow that is arriving next week. It’s cheaper than bok choy.
    We paid four dollars and some cents per pound for the beef we just bought. Honestly, I was shocked that it was cheaper than store-bought beef. The reason I was shocked is because for decades we had been getting cows and pigs free from my husband‘s family farm, and we paid for the processing. I had always assumed locally produced beef and pork was more expensive.

It is not.

Of course, the average American won’t buy it because it represents a big upfront cost and then you have to have a big chest freezer in which to store the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

I go by the Monterey Aquarium ratings for rare seafood purchases and there are not a lot of options in the standard supermarket. Someone must buy a lot of salmon, as large fillets are always featured. A wise eye could find plenty of environmental problems with salmon aquaculture. Not to mention shrimp culture.
    I'm reading The Salmon Wars: The Dark Underbelly of Our Favorite Fish. It's an interesting book, but the bottom line, according to the author, is a technological one. They do pose the problems with farmed fish, but their solution is to amp up the technology to produce more "wild" fish. I'm still a little confused by that all. Why not just remove dams as a first step?

I completely agree that unfortunately at this point in time locally raised, grass-fed beef is not available at a reasonable cost to most people. When grassfed beef is shipped from New Zealand to supermarket shelves, I just shake my head and say a prayer with gratitude for my ability to chat with Jocelyn at our local farm/meat market who provides much of our meat and dairy, who shows me the little turkey chicks when they arrive. If we could incentivize small farmers throughout the country to provide grass-fed meat the same way we incentivize Big Ag to destroy our soil and torture our animals, maybe you could buy reasonably priced, high quality meat.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm reading The Salmon Wars: The Dark Underbelly of Our Favorite Fish. It's an interesting book, but the bottom line, according to the author, is a technological one. They do pose the problems with farmed fish, but their solution is to amp up the technology to produce more "wild" fish. I'm still a little confused by that all. Why not just remove dams as a first step?

I completely agree that unfortunately at this point in time locally raised, grass-fed beef is not available at a reasonable cost to most people. When grassfed beef is shipped from New Zealand to supermarket shelves, I just shake my head and say a prayer with gratitude for my ability to chat with Jocelyn at our local farm/meat market who provides much of our meat and dairy, who shows me the little turkey chicks when they arrive. If we could incentivize small farmers throughout the country to provide grass-fed meat the same way we incentivize Big Ag to destroy our soil and torture our animals, maybe you could buy reasonably priced, high quality meat.
    But my example and bae’s examples show you that they ARE reasonably priced.

And pork is even cheaper.

Thread Information