Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Challenge Anyone?

Yppej
    DS has started repairing the light.

Yppej
    The light is repaired. The term limits petition will not be heard this quarter.

Had a realtor run a CMA and my house would, subtracting seller costs, go for less than $300,000 which won't get me a decent replacement home. Hoping the market will continue to slow as I am looking further from Boston than where I live, so might work out eventually ad prices correct faster in the hinterlands. He told me the bidding wars are over and houses are going for around list price so that's encouraging for someone whose offer would be contingent on sale of their existing home rather than being a cash buyer.

Yppej
    Going through some of the files each weekend.

Work on clearing the spare bed cleared off one thing
    Start organizing the books in progress
    4 boxes 1 of 4
    Set up no screen days for Jan, Feb, and Mar Jan done
    sort scraps for quilt working on it
    Work on tshirt quilt still looking for the missing shirts
    Stash busting in progress

Started on the small living room bookshelf, it will be the reference area so it will have the books we use to look up information the most often. While husband is teleworking half of it will be his office library. Last Sunday was the no screen day of the month and I spent the day emptying out a box. Sorted smaller fabric scraps by size and have to do some cutting to make them more uniform. Going to play it by ear and just start sewing stuff together and see what happens. Hoping Ill find the missing shirts as a reduce the stash. Right now I have 25 of 30 shirts sewn on their blocks.

The rest of the week is cutting and pinning fabric, thinking about doing commissions again.

Hana, So your purpose of no screen days? What you give up for Lent or ?

frugal-one, I work in front of a screen all day and then mucked about on my phone for a few hours after work. The first no screen day happened due to a case of eyestrain. It was nice and I decided to have a no screen day every month. As a result I spend less time overall on my phone after work and no more eyestrain.

I'm Atheist.

Hana, Would love to see pictures of your quilts sometime.

Yppej
    I may make my January budget. Have $60 to take me to the end of the month, and will need some gas before by early next week. Not much to eat in the house but if I just buy a few food items to tide me over I think I can make it. I'm driving with worn windshield washer blades, but they still work. I will have a real sense of accomplishment if I make this goal.

Sister and I finally completed the decluttering of Mom's second floor, which was primarily the bathroom. We filled two trash bags with stuff. There was a bottle of St. Ives lotion that I remember from my teenage years.
    A lesson I have learned from Mom is that if you think you need more storage space, you probably really just need less stuff. Mom has a big double vanity, and a large horizontal medicine cabinet and a linen closet that were all filled with stuff, not to mention all the stuff spread out on the counter where she could easily find it. I have no vanity or linen closet and just a small medicine cabinet and a very narrow set of shelves, and we are still able to make it work quite well for two people.
    It's always a balancing act with Mom, to reduce clutter but to keep things that she really needs on a regular basis out and visible. Getting rid of all the things she doesn't need certainly helps in all respects. It also helps me manage her inventory. For example, she recent asked me to buy her toothpaste, but I knew she had two new tubes in the vanity (out of sight, out of mind), and yesterday I found a couple more tubes. She also had me get her some deodorant last year, but I found about 6 of them in the vanity yesterday. So now everything is more organized, her regular essentials are out and visible, and I know what she has and where it is.
    Sis and I are going to try to get over there every other Sunday and deep clean one room each time. There is still way more stuff than needed in that house, but at least we've done a good first pass through all the rooms.

PS: This is the type of medicine cabinet she has: https://www.houzz.com/products/cosme...8aAkmQEALw_wcB
    For years, it drove me crazy that she always kept one side open, because it looked untidy and stuff got dusty. Now I realize that the "out of sight out of mind" thing was going on for decades before Alzheimer's was on our radar. There was a similar dynamic going on in the kitchen: tons of cabinets, but all horizontal surfaces covered with stuff. I've been helping her clean and declutter for probably 40 years. It makes me wonder if any of this was tied in with her AD, or if they were totally unrelated behaviors.

Thread Information