Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dempster or The Dalton?

The Dempster or The Dalton?

Okay---which do you find more appealing---doing the Dalton or the Dempster? Personally, what with the price of fuel, I'd rather just bike it, with a companion, in case something happens, in the middle O' nowhere. Tell you what-- it's even farther north than a place like IWah! Yup. Here's a photo of both. Can you tell which is which? Thankk Mee.2023-01-01 (9).jpg2023-01-01 (8).jpg

I've taken the Dempster. The highway itself is a bit boring for long stretches. It was worth it to get to the Arctic Ocean though. I want to try the Dalton next.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I've taken the Dempster. The highway itself is a bit boring for long stretches. It was worth it to get to the Arctic Ocean though. I want to try the Dalton next.
    Okay---Thatt is very interesting, B. Going from the lower 48, all the way to the terminal point of either of those roads is an impressive feat of Drivesmanship. Yup. It would not be feasible for littlebittymee to bike it or even drive it, at this point in my life. But, it's an interesting subject. Years ago, a geosciences instructor from Spokanistan who presently lives here in Zurra, said he drove the Dempster in a Renault LeCar(!!), when it first opened, which makes it all the more incredible. Prolly not boring, but death-defying, all the way. Yup.2023-01-02 (1).jpg

Okay----you kids prolly think I'm fixated on Cannada, but not realkly. It's just that it has a lot of remote places that are very cold, much of the year. Yup. Cannada is very woodsy, too, until you get waaay further north where it is mosly low-lying vegetation and then--tundra. Yup. But yeah---here's a place to take a vacation to---Labrador City, NL. They even built a highway from Quebec to Labrador City, on through to the coast of Labrador, and continues on in Newfoundland, which is more populated. But yeah---something like 700-800 miles of just DRIVING in the middle o' nowhere! Yup. Does that sound like fun, to you? BTW, I checked, and it's only minus 23 in Labrador City, tonight, A little chilly.. Yup. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee. 2023-02-03 (9).jpg

Canada is pretty darned amazing!

I keep almost moving there.

Okay---I have a big plan for a vacation drive-a-thon. See the photo of my camping rig. It's something a littlebitty bit different. But yeah---I plan to drive from Zurra to Cannadda and up the Alcan; Then up the Dalton Highway in Alaska to Deadhorse, near Prudhoe Bay. Then, after camping a few days, drive back home again. I may even take a side trip up the Dempster to Inuvik in Canada. We'll see. Should be an adventure and accomplish a lot of miles. Yup. Hope that helps inspire you kids. Thankk mee.2023-02-25 (4).jpg

Okay---Looky here! It's another Rammler that pulls a trailer, only its a teardrop. But yeah---wouldn't it be fun going up the Dempster to Inuvik? I know of someone who claimed to have driven the Dempster in a Renault LeCar---a cousin to those little Rammmlers. So anyway---it might be possible to do it in a Met or Rammler, pulling a small travel trailer.2023-06-12 (6).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    Okay---Looky here! It's another Rammler that pulls a trailer, only its a teardrop. But yeah---wouldn't it be fun going up the Dempster to Inuvik? I know of someone who claimed to have driven the Dempster in a Renault LeCar-
    I drove the whole way to Inuvik and proceeded further to Tuktoyaktuk. I took a very capable truck, but having done the trip now, I'd be fairly confident doing it in a small vehicle, the roads aren't terrible, the big danger was rocks thrown up by oncoming traffic. I bet you could handily do it in a Citroën 2CV.

Bring spare tires/patch kits, as the "gravel" in the gravel road is salad-plate-sized sharp chunks of rock, and not "gravel" as we Americans understand it. And tape over your headlights and stuff, as if you were on a race track.

The only damage I suffered on the last trip was a shattered windshield on my truck, from a rock thrown up by an oncoming Honda Civic. And it happened just 2 miles before I'd made it all the way back to more "normal" roads.

You'll have a fun trip if you go. Make sure to look at the duration of the "hellish bugs" season and incorporate that into your planning.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I drove the whole way to Inuvik and proceeded further to Tuktoyaktuk. I took a very capable truck, but having done the trip now, I'd be fairly confident doing it in a small vehicle, the roads aren't terrible, the big danger was rocks thrown up by oncoming traffic. I bet you could handily do it in a Citroën 2CV.

Bring spare tires/patch kits, as the "gravel" in the gravel road is salad-plate-sized sharp chunks of rock, and not "gravel" as we Americans understand it. And tape over your headlights and stuff, as if you were on a race track.

The only damage I suffered on the last trip was a shattered windshield on my truck, from a rock thrown up by an oncoming Honda Civic. And it happened just 2 miles before I'd made it all the way back to more "normal" roads.

You'll have a fun trip if you go. Make sure to look at the duration of the "hellish bugs" season and incorporate that into your planning.
    TYVM, BAE. I guess I would not choose to drive a restored old collector car, then, due to the risk of damage. But yeah---the trip would be a fun challenge in an AWD Van or SUV; one on the smaller(less large) side, and I could camp in it. I may look for one that is pre-owned and already hs some wear and tear, and of course--take several spare tires & tools and extra parts, like a fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    I may look for one that is pre-owned and already hs some wear and tear, and of course--take several spare tires & tools and extra parts, like a fuel pump.
    Being able to self-support on some of the stretches is A Good Thing, especially if you have an obscure vehicle.

My truck dealer loaned me a box of commonly-needed replacement parts, and they allowed me to return the unused ones. They also promised to have Kenmore Air airdrop parts out in the middle of nowhere if needed. I brought sufficient tools, and the complete service manual along.

I think the simpler and easier to self-maintain the vehicle you bring, the happier you will be.

Thread Information