Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Put down your phone!

I love pockets because they hold my Kleenex(. I don’t put my phone in my pocket as it’s a good way to break it or lose it. I rarely use my desktop computer or laptop anymore because I just use my phone.

I won't buy pants without pockets, but I am small, so my pants are small, and my pockets are often too small to accommodate a phone. Because of Mom-related responsibilities, I am less likely to indulge in the untethered joys of being unreachable, alas. Usually I am wearing a jacket or hoodie with pockets that are big enough, and I live in a climate where I need to wear one of these more often than not. I also frequently have my pocketbook, but for a short walk I also have an alternate tiny shoulder bag that is just the right size for a phone and a couple of other things. If I'm just going to the library for example, I might take the tiny bag with phone, keys, library card, mask, and list of books. I don't like to carry anything if I'm going for a recreational walk, so I make sure I have adequate pocket capacity for something like a walk on the rail trail or in the woods.

Love pockets as well. Cargo pants are a must at work as I can carry the things I need/want throughout the night. Actually want a couple more pairs to replace my jeans.

LOL on the pocket underwear!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Perfect!

I would never give up my cell phone just because silly people sometimes do silly things with them. Look at all the things it replaces in one little package. I can remember the Filofax, Walkman, GPS, calculator, Blackberry, pager, compass, mp3 player, dictionary, notebook, flashlight, camera, television, and radio as separate units. No wonder cargo pants used to be so popular.

If a few fools back over cliffs taking selfies, annoy people in movie theaters or crash cars while texting drivel, I really can’t see that’s the fault of the technology. If I really don’t want to be bothered, I just switch it off.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I would never give up my cell phone just because silly people sometimes do silly things with them. Look at all the things it replaces in one little package. I can remember the Filofax, Walkman, GPS, calculator, Blackberry, pager, compass, mp3 player, dictionary, notebook, flashlight, camera, television, and radio as separate units. No wonder cargo pants used to be so popular.

If a few fools back over cliffs taking selfies, annoy people in movie theaters or crash cars while texting drivel, I really can’t see that’s the fault of the technology. If I really don’t want to be bothered, I just switch it off.
    I use my iPhone for many, many things. Here is an excerpt of an article I published in my blog in 2011, and list keeps growing. I am now a diligent user of health apps--which Eric Topol would soundly recommend. I track my sleep on 2 apps, my heart on two apps, my BP, my eating habit and exercise habits on apps that are connected to other apps. If I stay alive for a while, I have only my apps to thank.

Here is my daily list of uses for my iPhone, as reported in 2011:

• 6:00am: I wake up early to work on a report, using my iPhone’s alarm. I’ve chosen a soft, soothing ring, like “Harp” because I’m home and if I oversleep, no big deal. But if I’m on the road and need to get up for an early meeting, it might be “Piano Riff” or “Xylophone”–much ruder, but much less likely for me to sleep over it. No more calling the hotel desks for a wake-up call.
    • 7:30am: I’ve worked on my report for an hour and half and now Nessie is looking to go for a walk. I wonder if I need a hat, so I check the weather app–43 degrees. Iffy. I grab the hat.
    • 7:45am: While I’m on the walk I see a turtle cross the path by the creek, so I take a picture with the camera, upload it to Facebook. The rest of the time I listen to my iPod: some music, and a daily Podcast by pray-as-you-go.org.
    • 7:50am: Done with the walk, so I check my calendar to see what meetings I have.
    • 7:55am: I read the daily Liturgy of the Hours readings on my Universalis app
    • 8:15am: I catch up on my finances. I check in with Mint and input transactions from the day before to my YouNeedABudget app. Mint reminds me I have a bill to pay today.
    • 8:45am: After breakfast and 20 minutes of yoga I log my meal and excercise on my MyFitnessPal app.I really want to get that report done, so I use my TaskTimer app, which is like a stopwatch, which is great for me because I tend to get distracted very easily. But when I use the TaskTimer, I know I’ve pledged myself to 45 minutes of straight work. Amazing what you can get done in 45 minutes of concentrated work.
    • 11:30am: At lunchtime I’m meeting a friend for lunch at a restaurant I haven’t used before, so I can either use my map app, which came with the iPhone, or I can use the more GPS-like AT&T Navigator. In this case, because I have to drive and there seem to be a lot of turns, I go with the AT&T Navigator. On the way, I listen to my iPod.
    • 12:05pm My friend is a little late, so I read some of my book on my Kindle app. Surprisingly, it reads very well, considering the screen is so small. I sync it with my Kindle purchases, and the bookmarks always are in sync. Or I could play a little Tetris.
    • 12:10pm Also while I’m waiting, I check my blog stats on my WordPress app.
    • 12:30pm At lunch my friend hasn’t seen my kids in a while, so I show her the photos on my phone. We also talk about the hardships of traveling, so I pull up a really funny comic monologue on travel by comedian Brian Regan on YouTube.
    • 1:10pm After lunch, I check my email and voice mail in the car parking lot, and return a couple of urgent emails. I can tell which ones to ignore–the ones that aren’t identified through my contacts.
    • 2:00-5:00pm The rest of the afternoon I spend at my computer doing assorted tasks, taking all my business calls on my iPhone. Hardly ever use the landline.
    • 5:30pm I see a QR code for a magazine article I’m interested in, so I use the code scanner I’ve downloaded and get the article and a coupon to use on a shopping trip. I save the article to Evernote.
    • 6:00pm On the dog’s evening walk, I check out movies on my Redbox app and reserve one for the evening.
    • 7:00pm After dinner, we check in with my son, using FaceTime. (I actually hate FaceTime because I’ve seen myself on the reverse camera feature and it’s a pretty scary sight! If they could only create an app with a gauze feature to soften those wrinkles).
    • 10:00pm And before bed, I want to say a rosary, but I can never remember those darned mysteries, so I pray using my Rosary app. If only my grammar school principal, Sister Ellen Marie, could see me now!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I use my iPhone for many, many things. Here is an excerpt of an article I published in my blog in 2011, and list keeps growing. I am now a diligent user of health apps--which Eric Topol would soundly recommend. I track my sleep on 2 apps, my heart on two apps, my BP, my eating habit and exercise habits on apps that are connected to other apps. If I stay alive for a while, I have only my apps to thank.

Here is my daily list of uses for my iPhone, as reported in 2011:

• 6:00am: I wake up early to work on a report, using my iPhone’s alarm. I’ve chosen a soft, soothing ring, like “Harp” because I’m home and if I oversleep, no big deal. But if I’m on the road and need to get up for an early meeting, it might be “Piano Riff” or “Xylophone”–much ruder, but much less likely for me to sleep over it. No more calling the hotel desks for a wake-up call.
    • 7:30am: I’ve worked on my report for an hour and half and now Nessie is looking to go for a walk. I wonder if I need a hat, so I check the weather app–43 degrees. Iffy. I grab the hat.
    • 7:45am: While I’m on the walk I see a turtle cross the path by the creek, so I take a picture with the camera, upload it to Facebook. The rest of the time I listen to my iPod: some music, and a daily Podcast by pray-as-you-go.org.
    • 7:50am: Done with the walk, so I check my calendar to see what meetings I have.
    • 7:55am: I read the daily Liturgy of the Hours readings on my Universalis app
    • 8:15am: I catch up on my finances. I check in with Mint and input transactions from the day before to my YouNeedABudget app. Mint reminds me I have a bill to pay today.
    • 8:45am: After breakfast and 20 minutes of yoga I log my meal and excercise on my MyFitnessPal app.I really want to get that report done, so I use my TaskTimer app, which is like a stopwatch, which is great for me because I tend to get distracted very easily. But when I use the TaskTimer, I know I’ve pledged myself to 45 minutes of straight work. Amazing what you can get done in 45 minutes of concentrated work.
    • 11:30am: At lunchtime I’m meeting a friend for lunch at a restaurant I haven’t used before, so I can either use my map app, which came with the iPhone, or I can use the more GPS-like AT&T Navigator. In this case, because I have to drive and there seem to be a lot of turns, I go with the AT&T Navigator. On the way, I listen to my iPod.
    • 12:05pm My friend is a little late, so I read some of my book on my Kindle app. Surprisingly, it reads very well, considering the screen is so small. I sync it with my Kindle purchases, and the bookmarks always are in sync. Or I could play a little Tetris.
    • 12:10pm Also while I’m waiting, I check my blog stats on my WordPress app.
    • 12:30pm At lunch my friend hasn’t seen my kids in a while, so I show her the photos on my phone. We also talk about the hardships of traveling, so I pull up a really funny comic monologue on travel by comedian Brian Regan on YouTube.
    • 1:10pm After lunch, I check my email and voice mail in the car parking lot, and return a couple of urgent emails. I can tell which ones to ignore–the ones that aren’t identified through my contacts.
    • 2:00-5:00pm The rest of the afternoon I spend at my computer doing assorted tasks, taking all my business calls on my iPhone. Hardly ever use the landline.
    • 5:30pm I see a QR code for a magazine article I’m interested in, so I use the code scanner I’ve downloaded and get the article and a coupon to use on a shopping trip. I save the article to Evernote.
    • 6:00pm On the dog’s evening walk, I check out movies on my Redbox app and reserve one for the evening.
    • 7:00pm After dinner, we check in with my son, using FaceTime. (I actually hate FaceTime because I’ve seen myself on the reverse camera feature and it’s a pretty scary sight! If they could only create an app with a gauze feature to soften those wrinkles).
    • 10:00pm And before bed, I want to say a rosary, but I can never remember those darned mysteries, so I pray using my Rosary app. If only my grammar school principal, Sister Ellen Marie, could see me now!
    Don’t lose that phone!

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Don’t lose that phone!
    Haha, that's why I also use the ping feature on my Apple Watch to locate my phone, a feature which, as I get older, I am utilizing much, much more often. Sometimes I ping my phone from my Apple Watch only to find that the phone is in my back pocket!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Interestingly compilation Catherine.

Just read about info about T-Mobile Data breach…. sheesh

https://clark.com/cell-phones/t-mobi...ST_EMAIL_ID%5D

Thread Information