Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ironing anyone?

Ironing anyone?

I've had an iron since probably not too long after leaving home and used it somewhat often early for job interviews, weddings and funerals, and maybe a few special events. My iron is now about to go, but is one of those things you think, maybe some day... Job interviews are pretty much out any more and I can get a reasonable look out of a few shirts and slacks if needed with a few tumbles of the drier. The ironing board went a few years ago, but I've ironed on a counter top with a town underneath a few times. It just seems like people are more casual about funeral and wedding or most other special event dress anymore. At least outside of the country club crowd. I don't want to be some sort of low rent person where it would be out of place not to have a neat press, but I'm not seeing it?

I remember, Mrs. Misery wasn't it, that liked to iron as some sort of calming zen meditation, but as a pragmatic function has it lost it's purpose for the majority of us?

The sports coat is getting close too, for the same reasons. The only one I have is a nice wool Sears I bought just after college, which miraculously fits and not too outdated, but slightly tight. It's a little further away from the chopping block, and I'll hold on to ties and a dress shirt or two..

I remember Mz Misery. I don't remember her feelings about ironing, but from what you recall, I think I identify with it.

I don't iron frequently but I would never throw out my iron. I like pressed tablecloths, pillowcases, and sometimes even dishtowels.

Also, sometimes I sew, and you have to have an iron if you want to sew things. Crisp seams can't be achieved without ironing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I keep an iron around for occasional sewing and flower show fabric pieces used for napkins, backgrounds.

Okay---But yeah---Go ahead and keep it.

I forgot about table clothes which I have used occasionally. I'll have to think about that. Lately it's been mostly placemats.

These days, I only use my iron for sewing chores like hems. It is probably 20 years old and still works great - just a cheapie from Walmart. Sometimes I wonder if the casual factor has gone too far.

Something I would not dispose of… it takes little room and even if just used for that fusing tape for hems… it is worthwhile to have around.

I think it was Mrs. Miserly, not Misery (that "l" makes a big difference). I seldom iron anymore, but I do on occasion, so I would not get rid of my iron and ironing board.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think it was Mrs. Miserly, not Misery (that "l" makes a big difference). I seldom iron anymore, but I do on occasion, so I would not get rid of my iron and ironing board.
    Yes, typo :-). My apologies to Ms. Miserly, where ever you are.

I actually learned how to iron in the service - had to keep those uniforms crisp! LOL.

Once we were married, I taught dh how to iron. With his job, he uses the iron all the time while I rarely use it. So, we still have one and a board. Now to get him to put it away every now and then.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information