Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using what you have

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using what you have

I was recently re-inspired by a local blogger who decided to make 2023 the year of "using what you have." In the post, she sought to use materials already in her house to complete projects. And to use the pantry and freezer items she currently has rather than buying more. That is a big one with me as I like looking for grocery bargains whether or not I need them. Other than groceries, my personal gotta have more new is seeds - I need to use the ones I have instead of acquiring more. Three shoeboxes is probably enough. What do you need to use rather than acquiring more of?

Books…

Yppej
    I am wearing out my clothes rather than buying new. Also eating what's on hand and sometimes skipping my weekly grocery run.

Have no desire to pay inflated prices for anything I can live without.

Wrapping paper.

I have started wrapping gifts in paper bags--there are a lot around now that plastic bags are outlawed in VT. And then I decorate them with markers, and I'm a big collector of nice ribbons--satin, grosgrain, etc.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Books are a good one. I have half a dozen or more books on my self that are waiting to be read, and a few more I could review again. I've been re-using parchment paper is it's not too grungy.

Art supplies and shoes.
    I also have a trove of Christmas paper.

DH has a hoard in the basement because he uses what he has. He is a savant about rebuilding vintage light fixtures, And today he rummaged around in his fixtures box to get the piece needed for my latest acquisition.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-14-23 at 9:17pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    DH has a hoard in the basement because he uses what he has. He is a savant about rebuilding vintage light fixtures, And today he removed around in his fixture box to get the piece needed for my latest acquisition.
    I think a lot of resourceful people tend to be "hoarders"--everything could have a purpose down the line. I am so impressed with the resourcefulness of my rural Vermont neighbors. They are all "MacGyvers". And as impressed as I am, I'm glad my parents weren't like them--I see shows like American Pickers and I feel so bad for their children who have to get rid of the stuff.

I am in the market for some out-of-the-box solutions for my dark kitchen area. I'm sure someone like your DH would know exactly what I need.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes, I believe in using what I have acquired through the years, at deep discount prices, even though I did not zackly need them at the time. I don't follow the "just in time" manufacturing agenda. I have damaged, salvaged, deep-discounted and rare inventory, on hand to use when I need it. But guess what? That is not the American Way, prescribed by the masters of consumption! Nope. You are supposed to toss everything in the dumpster or sell it, if you are not planning to use it in the immediate future. Then, days, weeks, months, years, dfecades later, you are supposed to buy a nice new one(whatever), to use at the current price! And---make a special trip to get it, as well. It keeps the economy growing, and it reduces clutter, which in turn "increases property values"(the mantra of the ignorant & obedient). But yeah---get rid of everything, to keep things neat. Thatt way, people will believe you are normal. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

Speaking of building materials, it drives me nuts when these HGTV shows do their demos and destroy cabinets and fixtures that could be re-used. I read somewhere that destroying things with hatchets and hammers keeps their male viewers engaged. Huh?

Thread Information