Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using what you have

Our Habitat Restore makes about $500,000-1M net on selling reuse items and stock overruns from some companies. Pays for the entire admin costs so all money recd as donations goes right to building. They pick up entire kitchens and now have enough warehouse space to even work on items. People are actively looking for the "retro" things that others think are just "old".

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Our Habitat Restore makes about $500,000-1M net on selling reuse items and stock overruns from some companies. Pays for the entire admin costs so all money recd as donations goes right to building. They pick up entire kitchens and now have enough warehouse space to even work on items. People are actively looking for the "retro" things that others think are just "old".
    I love this! So cool.

Over at the nearby big-box a couple years ago, the obedient workers took down the display models of kitchen cabinets, and purposely damaged and dumpstered them, as they were ordered by management to do. The stuff COULD'VE been discounted and sold to barg-hunters lkike me as pieces for cabins, garages, and stuff. But noper---gotta destroy and landfill it. Consumption---the American Way.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    Over at the nearby big-box a couple years ago, the obedient workers took down the display models of kitchen cabinets, and purposely damaged and dumpstered them, as they were ordered by management to do. The stuff COULD'VE been discounted and sold to barg-hunters lkike me as pieces for cabins, garages, and stuff. But noper---gotta destroy and landfill it. Consumption---the American Way.
    that is pretty awful to contemplate.

In my former richy rich neighborhood I observed more than once, kitchens and bathrooms less than two years old sitting in the alley OR else offered ip on FB. At least they attempted to recycle the stuff.

My friend who installed a new bathroom and multiple “ upgrades” to ready her house for sale put in things that the new people who planned an entire renovation promptly tore out. I can’t say I was unhappy to see the hideous barn door leaning against a fence, ready for refuse pickup.

But unfortunately some of their design choices are just as hideously trendy.

In Hermann we save, reuse, and renovate everything. We are thrifty Germans!!! No tear downs. It is a thing to build onto your old house. Our architect has made plans for at least 5 such projects on my block alone. When I get out into the community and talk to people, they have used him also to make major changes to their old or mid century houses.

I think I need to move to Hermann along with my German DH

I missed the tidy/thrifty genes completely, even though I'm about 75% German, and--on one side of my family-not too far removed from the old country.

I get so aggravated when the people on househunters are all "this kitchen is a total gut job" when in fact it's a perfectly functional kitchen that maybe needs nicer countertops or a coat of paint on the cabinets. The wastefulness is remarkable to me.

Product placement is rampant on those shows. It's one big "commercial" for home improvement projects.

I LOVE retro kitchens. Keep the cabinets and paint them. Add new appliances as needed and likely new countertops. I agree with jp it is wasteful.

So tonight I went by work and raided the dumpster. I have some spots in the garage I would like to put up some pegboard, and in the dumpster was some partial sheets of the thick stuff. (enough that would equal four full sheets). I don't have the spot for full size sheets, and will still have to cut this down, but saves me some money and allows me to put some of my commonly used tools within reach (oil change wrenches).

Too bad they didn't have 1x2's to frame them.

Thread Information