Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee arthritis and bursitis

Knee arthritis and bursitis

I am having problems with both of my knees and finally got to an orthopedic doctor last week, who says I have arthritis in both knees and bursitis in right knee (pes anserine bursitis). She prescribed physical therapy which I haven't started yet because I have to get an MRI because of something that showed up on the xray. She said she'd shoot the knees full of cortisone but can't yet because of the MRI. She said to wear shoe orthotics. I've been gulping ibuprofen and Tylenol for 8 weeks now.

Anyone had luck curing your knee arthritis or at least managing it? I can't walk for more than a few minutes--am hobbling, pain is very bad and knees very swollen at night--at times I can't bend them they are so swollen. I can't do my normal life anymore, and it's so icy here that there is no even ground in the yard to walk on. Do not have access to a therapy pool. Anything that has worked for anyone?

Did doc suggest anything to put on your knees? I can highly recommend BioFreeze. Menthol based. Makes my knees functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Did doc suggest anything to put on your knees? I can highly recommend BioFreeze. Menthol based. Makes my knees functional.
    She did not but I will definitely try that one. Thank you!

If you’re looking for some way to get exercise, check out this under desk cycle. I use it in my comfy chair in the living room. You can get quite a respectable cardio workout if you wanted to, but it also works just as well for gentle pedaling. I got it two years ago when Covid reared it’s head again in early 2021 and I quit going to the gym. This is the best one of the under desk cycles.

https://www.amazon.com/under-desk-bi...dDbGljaz10cnVl

My husband got battery operated knee warmers and massagers. He says they help. My doctor recommended exercise so we go 4-5 days a week. Doctor said keeping the muscles around the knee strong and losing weight (ha) are the best things I could do. I wear a knee support or sometimes just a wrap to keep the knee warm.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z3MJ9K2...roduct_details

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    My husband got battery operated knee warmers and massagers. He says they help. My doctor recommended exercise so we go 4-5 days a week. Doctor said keeping the muscles around the knee strong and losing weight (ha) are the best things I could do. I wear a knee support or sometimes just a wrap to keep the knee warm.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z3MJ9K2...roduct_details
    Yes, exercise, and thanks Tradd for the suggestion of the under desk cycle. I'm trying to figure out exercise when everything hurts so much but I'm sure that's what the doctor is getting at with the physical therapy. I have ordered knee supports and the orthotics.

What are Montmorency cherries good for? See the benefits below:

Benefits for sleep. Regular consumption of Montmorency cherries and cherry juice can help you sleep better and longer.
    Anti-inflammatory food. Montmorency tart cherries and cherry juice can help with arthritis joint pain and swelling by reducing levels of several inflammation markers including COX-1 and COX-2 and C-reactive protein.
    Benefits for gout. Morello cherries and cherry juice are low in purines, reduce uric acid levels in the blood and inflammation markers contributing to gout flareups.
    Benefits for muscle recovery. Montmorency cherries and cherry juice help with muscle recovery post exercise and are good to eat and drink both before and after a workout, helping reduce exercise-induced muscle soreness, pain and loss of strength. Find out more about the benefits of cherries for muscle recovery.
    Mild laxative properties, good for relieving constipation naturally.
    Good for high blood pressure. Potassium and magnesium in Montmorency cherries provide anti-hypertensive benefits.
    Benefits for teeth and gums. Montmorency cherries help keep teeth and gums healthy thanks to a good vitamin C content.
    Good for diabetes. Montmorency cherries have a low glycemic index score of only 20, 20-something and don’t raise blood sugar levels too much too fast.
    Benefits for weight loss. Low in calories and fat and a moderate source of carbs, Montmorency cherries help you lose weight in a healthy manner.
    Benefits for vision. High in pro-vitamin A antioxidants, the cherry variety supports visual acuity, color vision and night vision.
    Antiaging benefits. Antioxidants in Montmorency cherries and juice help prevent and repair cell damage caused by oxidative stress and delay premature aging, exerting antiaging benefits. One antioxidant in particular, vitamin C, supports collagen production for good skin elasticity, less wrinkles and a more youthful looking skin.

I buy the concentrate….YLMV. Hope you find relief Tybee!

I could go one about my various knee and foot problems, but I'd really give a well qualified physical therapist a fair chance. I have been that route and it's helped a lot. I have experimented with a variety of orthotics and those have also helped, but it's taken a few trials with different shoes and orthotics.

Sorry to hear about your knee pain, Tybee. I can relate. I have arthritis under my knee caps which made gardening and hiking very unpleasant this past summer. I am set to get some Hyalurnic (sp?) injections in both knees on Wednesday. It is a "lubricant" that helps under the knee cap. I had it once before in my right knee only a few years back and it did help.

Last Friday I had another x-ray-guided injection in my C-8/T1-T2 area of my spine. I have been dealing with cervical radiculopathy for the last year, which has rendered me unable to play guitar, interferes with making jewelry (which is more than half my way of earning my keep these days) and wakes me up multiple times at night because my hands have gone numb. I sure hope it works this time, as the doc said it is the last time he'll try it on me. Other than that, surgery seems to be the only answer. I really don't want to have to go that route, considering all the surgeries I've had on my wrists the past few years.

I also have another spine problem in the lumbar region, which is causing my feet to go numb. It's always something these days with me...

Tybee, if you can, don’t go shopping. Get it delivered if you can or do pickup. Now is the time to use Amazon or order from wherever else online. If you have to haul stuff around, get one of those folding canvas carts. I have one for dive gear, but also use it for hauling trash to dumpster and that sort of thing. If DH doesn’t want to deal with the ice either, perfect time to stay in.

This is everything I’ve learned from my knee issues and how to cope.

Thread Information