Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Baldwin being charged

Alex Baldwin being charged

I just read that Alec Baldwin is being charged with involuntary manslaughter? I know nothing about guns, so you folks who do, does this seem fair or right to charge him?

ETA: sorry, I misspelled his name
    Last edited by Tybee; 1-19-23 at 3:40pm.

I thought that was all behind him. In fact, they are returning to production of Rust, with Halnyna Hutchins' husband as an executive producer.

I don't know how to define involuntary manslaughter legally, but maybe because he technically could have avoided the accident by not pointing the gun at her??

I've followed that case, because it was such a horrible, senseless tragedy, and also because I like Alec Baldwin's acting. And putting myself in his shoes, I don't know how I could ever get over something like that.

And is this a civil case, or a criminal one?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I just read that Alex Baldwin is being charged with involuntary manslaughter? I know nothing about guns, so you folks who do, does this seem fair or right to charge him?
    Yes, it is fair. Basic gun safety requires everyone touching a weapon ensure its done safely, Alec Baldwin, and every other person handling that gun, violated that basic safety measure and a person was killed as a result. None of them intended to harm anyone, yet the result of their negligence took a life. There must be consequences.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I did look it up, and it seems that he and the armorer are being charged with two counts. Punishment is not that severe, frankly. For instance, the AD took a plea deal and just served 6 months probation plus a fine. I think the charges are fair, given a completely innocent woman lost her life in a way that seems it should never have happened.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I think it's fair. He's still innocent until proven guilty and can afford expensive lawyers, so it should be a fair trial to say if he's innocent or not. I agree that it probably falls under some version of reckless endangerment or gross negligence, but that's a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I think it's fair. He's still innocent until proven guilty and can afford expensive lawyers, so it should be a fair trial to say if he's innocent or not.
    Maybe it's my Catholic guilt, but if I were involved, I'd beg for some type of punishment befitting the crime. I couldn't live with myself otherwise.

Without knowing the facts of the case, who can say if the charges are “fair” or “right”?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Maybe it's my Catholic guilt, but if I were involved, I'd beg for some type of punishment befitting the crime. I couldn't live with myself otherwise.
    I think the guy has plenty of internal strife to act as punishment.

That said, a charge of manslaughter isn’t all that serious in consequence, necessarily. Depends on many factors. And Catherine, all this does is cause the Baldwin assets to be depleted on high priced attorneys. The Spanish princess and her brood will have to give up a vacation in Majorca. Or perhaps they will have to forgo paying another surrogate to produce child #8 or whatever is the current number.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think the guy has plenty of internal strife to act as punishment.

That said, a charge of manslaughter isn’t all that serious in consequence, necessarily. Depends on many factors. And Catherine, all this does is cause the Baldwin assets to be depleted on high priced attorneys. The Spanish princess and her brood will have to give up a vacation in Majorca. Or perhaps they will have to forgo paying another surrogate to produce child #8 or whatever is the current number.
    Yeah, well, if I went to confession, I'd probably get quite a few Our Fathers and Hail Mary's to keep me busy in repentance for a while. But if you don't have that, how do you assuage your internal strife?

I agree that the punishment will be minimal enough to be symbolic for Alec Baldwin and it might hold up production for a while. That will be it. Except for the social media jury... that will be never-ending.

If I remember correctly, other people had refused to work on the set due to the lack of firearms safety rules. If that I’d true, then there was a track record of negligence with the firearms handling. When I do dry fire (aka no rounds in my pistol, fully unloaded) practice at home, I’m checking 4-5 times to make sure the chamber is empty before I touch the trigger.

Thread Information