Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Things we consider normal now

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Thought police are especially rampant on university campuses and they patrol social media platforms as well. I would say those institutions are the most populated with thought police but Lord knows they’re everywhere.

So maybe sort of like Allan?

I always get back to the old Pogo saying, "I've seen the enemy and it is us". So maybe they are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

I always get back to the old Pogo saying, "I've seen the enemy and it is us". So maybe they are everywhere.
    no, Alan is a free speech guy. I mean you can see that, right?

Broken window theory is/was popular in fighting urban crime back 20+ years ago. My neighborhood really bought into it.
    it just describes breakdown in an urban fabric such as the lowest level of crime would be littering in the street. Three to have tons of litter invite more neglect. A broken window. A broken window invites. Why neglect because people think no one is paying attention, so another couple of broken windows take place. Then graffiti. Then more graffiti. Then muggings. Then house break-ins… it all escalates.

that is an interesting analogy. LDAHL.
    Okay---it's also like the proverbial "slippery slope". Yup. Saul Pieman wrote a wonderful song---one of the best songs EVER---called "slip sliding away", in which he lyrically addressed the situation. Yup. Amazing and awesome. But yeahh--here a couple photos. One, of Saul singin' slip-salidin' awaaaayyy(just awesome & amayzeen), before a HUUUGE crowd that idolizes him. Yup. Wonder how much those tickicks costed? Worth every penny, no doubt. Ha.2023-01-20 (10).jpg

no, Alan is a free speech guy. I mean you can see that, right?
    So the free speech guys and the thought police could be opposites? I should leave it at that or maybe query chatGPT. I tried that out the other day and it was a bit concerning, speaking of cultural change.

It occurs to me that if you believe that a member of the thought police provides a space where narratives can be questioned and alternate opinions are welcome, you've probably already spent too much time down the rabbit hole.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It occurs to me that if you believe that a member of the thought police provides a space where narratives can be questioned and alternate opinions are welcome, you've probably already spent too much time down the rabbit hole.
    I do believe I am guilty of the excessive rabbit hole exploration. Thanks for getting me back on track.

Autism, peanut allergies...Unheard of in the past.
    The first time I ever heard of autism was when I read Son Rise, by Barry Neil Kaufman in the mid-seventies.

Credit. I remember when we were kids, dad fixed the mainframe at a chain that someone screwed up and it caused a breakdown that they were missing payroll. After getting it back up and going in a timely manner, mom received a credit card from that company in the mail to them. Dad cut it up as he hadn't requested it and it nearly caused a divorce, until they got one reissued. (allowed them to buy some tools to fix things as needed)

Cars that go more then 100K and don't need oil changes every 1000 to 1500 miles and tune ups every 12K.
    A/C and FM radio. Around Halloween, I thought about seeing if I could find an old Wolfman Jack Halloween show with some of the oldies to have playing outside while kids trick or treat. (for the few that do)

Kids who live at home with parents until they are close to middle age. Bike lanes along streets. Policemen stationed in schools.
    Last edited by Rogar; 1-21-23 at 10:22am.

Fortunately I don't know what the broken window theory is and am not sure about who the thought police are.

Fear has taken different forms through the decades. Cold wars and hiding under desks, Cuban missile crisis, run away inflation in the Reagan years. The war on drugs. Fewer medical remedies. A financial meltdown. I guess we did have a pandemic.
    I’m talking more about our reaction to conditions rather than the conditions themselves. Those kids under the desks were a display of resolve against the nuclear threat, not the sort of pointless handwringing we see now. A few generations of Americans led the effort to contain the Soviet empire until it collapsed under the weight of communist idiocy and authoritarian brutality. When Reagan and Volcker faced inflation in the early eighties, they took painful and decisive action; they didn’t try to seek scapegoats or pretend it didn’t exist like we see now. We were a bolder and more resilient people then.

Thread Information