Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reparations

Yppej
    I believe reparations should:

1. Go to individuals whose ancestors appear the 1870 census as black. If you are black but a first generation immigrant you are not entitled, only descendents of slaves.
    2. The payment should be the current day value of 40 acres of agricultural land and a tractor since we no longer use mules. It should be a one time payment.
    3. The payment should be divided amongst all the ancestor's living descendants. Are you the sole descendent of 2 slave ancestors? You get 80 acres and 2 tractors. Are there 100 descendants of one slave? They each get 1/100th of 40 acres and a tractor, but probably additional money from other ancestors.
    4. Pay certified genealogists to do the work in the genealogy capital of the country, Salt Lake City.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Petty much just performance art, then?
    Exactly. Just like everything the republicans are going to be doing in the House of Representatives for the next two years.

I agree that the five million is just some sort of drama, but also that it's a warm up for a smaller amount, like maybe a couple of hundred thousand. I could assume that what ever follows will be a result of the elected government officials, so maybe that is what the voting tax payers would like to have as part of the democratic process?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Exactly. Just like everything the republicans are going to be doing in the House of Representatives for the next two years.
    There it is! Always tying it all to those wascally Wepublicans.

Gotta love ya jp!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I agree that the five million is just some sort of drama, but also that it's a warm up for a smaller amount, like maybe a couple of hundred thousand. I could assume that what ever follows will be a result of the elected government officials, so maybe that is what the voting tax payers would like to have as part of the democratic process?
    I see that the State of California has a reparations task force, with a report due to the legislature in July. I would expect the proposed payout would be juicy enough to boost Gavin Newsom’s primary bid among the rent-seeking base.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Gotta love ya jp!
    Mar-a-Lago > Car-a-Lago

It’s science!

Okay----It may come as a surprise to you kids that I am 100% in favor of Black Reparations. Yup. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that The Black Community owes everyone else in America Reparations for all of the prolllems they have caused over the years!. No doubt about it. I haven't arrived at a dollar figure, but it will be considerable. I personally am VERY sorry that they were bought and sold as slaves and brought to America, in the first place. It was a bad idea, in order to get cheap agerculchural(agricultural) labor, but definitely just wasn't worth the trouble. So yeah--I apologize. Here's a photo of Downtown 'Lanta, the other night. More riots. Yup.2023-01-22 (10).jpg2023-01-22 (10).jpg2023-01-22 (10).jpg

Gotta love ya jp!
    You think they are actually going to try to get any legislating done? Bless your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You think they are actually going to try to get any legislating done? Bless your heart.
    Do you think I actually WANT the idiots (of any stripe) to “get any legislating done?” Bless YOUR heart.

Do you think I actually WANT the idiots (of any stripe) to “get any legislating done?” Bless YOUR heart.
    So you don't want congress to figure out how the government should spend money. Or pass legislation to prevent the government from defaulting on its existing debt? At minimum those are key functions of the house and republicans, led by the burn it all down branch of the party, has indicated that they have no plans to do either in such a manner that stands a chance of becoming law because they refuse to acknowledge that their preferred plans just aren't remotely popular with anywhere near a majority of voters so no one outside of their minor minority of representatives has any interest in supporting them.

Or to pass legislation solving inflation and crime and immigration and all the other things republicans ran on? I can understand not supporting the last bit since only the most naive voter among us actually thought republicans had a plan for such. Especially since they didn't actually present any plan. (apparently they haven't ever worked in an office. I've been told countless times in the 33 years I've worked in professional jobs "don't just point out problems, point out solutions." The republican candidates were all "inflation is bad. vote for me" without explaining even in the vagueist of terms why they would be an improvement.)

Thread Information