Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you fly now?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Would you fly now?

Just curious, would you fly now? I am personally not thinking of traveling soon but as I've posted, myself and the Mr. would like to visit both Manila and Bogota. Obviously, plane travel would be involved. Prior to Covid, I flew several times and was glad to get from point A to point B so quickly, but my nerves were always wound up tight when I'd fly. And that was then......

Now I'm reading/hearing of cancelled flights, long delays, mountains of lost luggage - just plane travel in general being stressful and very unpleasant. And it's not just US based carriers with these issues, either. I went to Trustpilot and researched (formerly) well regarded airlines such as EVA Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, and Emerites - they all have these same issues, too - so flying to a large hub like LAX and then boarding a foreign carrier doesn't minimize travel risk these days as it used to pre Covid.

So I was just curious - would you fly now under these conditions? My vote is NO - worrying about cancellations and lost luggage is not my idea of a vacation. What's your take? Anyone have a guess as to how long flying will remain like this? Rob

I flew to Ireland in June and I am flying to Zurich in April for 11 days visiting Munich, salsburg, Vienna and Prague. I also have a trip booked to France in 2024.

I'd fly, if I planned my trip prudently.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I flew to Ireland in June and I am flying to Zurich in April for 11 days visiting Munich, salsburg, Vienna and Prague. I also have a trip booked to France in 2024.
    Salzburg is incredible - it's one place I can think of that the camera truly loves. I remember hearing once that the camera loved Marilyn Monroe. Salzburg is the same - I've never seen an ugly picture or image of it. I'm sure you will be in the Alte Stadt - the Old City where all the touristy sites are. Make sure to go to the castle - die Festung - if you have time. It's just amazing and beyond that, there are wonderful views of Salzburg from it's grounds.

Tourists never really seem to visit the new city where actual everyday Austrians live - but on the offhand chance that you go beyond the touristy areas - My Mother is from Gnigl, one of the neighborhoods in Salzburg. Most of my Austrian family that doesn't live in Vienna lives in Gnigl or Innsbruck. Rob

I would fly but with limited connections and with a lot of flexibility. In other words, I would not fly into a city if a tour was starting that day. I would allow several days at the beginning and we always used to do that anyway because we learned our lesson in the 80s. Thankfully, it is not the money involved but the simple stress of sudden changes and problems.

It is the luggage issue that can do so much to damage a trip. We are pretty used to traveling with only a carryon but the airlines are becoming more strict.

Then there is the increased cost and added on fees for everything. The flights we have taken previously are almost double the cost now.

So we are staying closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'd fly, if I planned my trip prudently.
    I mean no snark here, bae, honestly i don't. By planning a trip prudently, do you mean direct flights only, minimal luggage or carry-on(s) only? Rob

My trip to MX in August was just horrid for the travel part. Mind you, I hate to fly and hadn’t done it since 2015 when I went to Charlotte for a weekend. Last international flight had been to Montreal for work in 1998. I didn’t even need a passport, just birth certificate.

I flew Southwest from ORD to Cancun. Flight was packed. I chose SW due to checked bag policy as I had to haul a lot of diving gear. I paid extra to get a business select ticket so I could be in the first 12 rows to board. I was number one after the little kids and handicapped people both ways. Got the overhead room right above my seat that I wanted. Put an Apple AirTag in checked bag to keep track of it. Flight was 100% full both ways.

But it was just brutal. Being squished with the unwashed masses, having to deal with TSA and the MX equivalent over dive gear, and the long walk through the airport that was hell on my knees, I never want to fly again. The cave diving in MX was awesome, but I don’t plan on ever going back. Flying sucks, massively. I will always take a long road trip, 2 days each way by myself, over flying.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I mean no snark here, bae, honestly i don't. By planning a trip prudently, do you mean direct flights only, minimal luggage or carry-on(s) only? Rob
    Over the past 10 years or so, I've gotten really good at traveling for weeks with only my carry-on. This alone has eliminated a lot of fuss and bother.

Then, I strive for direct flights, at non-peak times. I also try to arrange to have spare time on both ends of the travel so that I won't stress if I blow a day or two because of delays/cancellations.

And I bring a lot of books and music and movies loaded onto my iPad Mini, and bring battery power packs and cords and such.

It's so funny, after all the flying I did for business, I am wondering if the mundane trip to Buffalo I took in January 2020 was the last business trip I'll ever take. It wouldn't bother me at all, although I'll miss being able to stockpile frequent flier miles.

So, now, I'd like to take a trip with DH at some point to utilize some of those miles. But I'm not excited about flying. I used to love it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes, it is a necessary evil to do what I want to do. I agree with traveling light and allowing one day plus to catch overseas flights and tours.

Thread Information