Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching 2023?

What are you watching 2023?

Went to the theater to see “A Man Called Otto” with Tom Hanks ….was good but kinda bummed me out.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Went to the theater to see “A Man Called Otto” with Tom Hanks ….was good but kinda bummed me out.
    I liked the Swedish version

The Banshees of Inisherin. It was called a dark comedy, but I thought it was just dark. I hope it will win some awards. Not your typical Hollywood movie, excellent acting, and one I've thought about since watching as it sort of sticks with you. The story was a little far fetched, but it's a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    The Banshees of Inisherin. It was called a dark comedy, but I thought it was just dark. I hope it will win some awards. Not your typical Hollywood movie, excellent acting, and one I've thought about since watching as it sort of sticks with you. The story was a little far fetched, but it's a movie.
    The Oscars were announced, and all the major actors were nominated. So that is great. But as Catherine said, Jenny should be nominated as well.

Finding Your Roots, PBS.

I just watched TAR, a film about a famous female conductor who falls from grace due to her bullying and inappropriate behavior with underlings. I fell asleep watching it (not because it was dull) and need to catch up on the meanings and symbols.

Reddit is, after the unfortunate closing of the Internet Movie Database forums, the best place for general film discussion.people there will be able to explain things in this film.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I just watched TAR, a film about a famous female conductor who falls from grace due to her bullying and inappropriate behavior with underlings. I fell asleep watching it (not because it was dull) and need to catch up on the meanings and symbols.

Reddit is, after the unfortunate closing of the Internet Movie Database forums, the best place for general film discussion.people there will be able to explain things in this film.
    I, too, bailed on the movie (but mine was intentional). I felt it was very self-conscious, and also, I had no feelings for the protagonist. At first I thought it was based on a real-life person, which would have made it semi-interesting, but when I learned it wasn't, I checked out.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I, too, bailed on the movie (but mine was intentional). I felt it was very self-conscious, and also, I had no feelings for the protagonist. At first I thought it was based on a real-life person, which would have made it semi-interesting, but when I learned it wasn't, I checked out.
    I had feelings of horror and shame for her and some of what they had her do. It was a little too obvious. The scene at Juilliard seemed overly stated. I can’t believe a music student would pull out their wokeness in front of a world-class conductor teaching a master class. Students at that level are smarter. The scene was heavy handed and preachy.

I did like the way Tar’s wife was so watchful of her, carefully considering Tar’s actions in a way that Tar herself did not

Okay---I was watching some youtube videos about Lee Oswalds weapon of choice---the venerable 6.5 Carcano , first introduced in 1891. But the one Oswald bought through the mail from a store in Chicago, was a Carbine(shorter barrel) made in 1940. The News media used to gleefully refer to these(various) guns as: "high-powered rifles". That was the catchphrase before "Assault Rifle" came along. Early "high-powered rifles" were bolt-action, generally for use as sniper rifles or defending fortifications. Then, in WW2--well 1936, for the USA, they started phasing in the semi-automatic, meaning essentially "Assault Rifles", but they generally loaded 10 or fewer cartridges, though bolt-actions still were used. But anyway, Oswalds Carcano was Bolt action, and the magazine held 6 cartridges. But yeah---they were designed for intermediate long range. Many have been used as war-surplus hunting rifles, until the supply of surplus ammunition got scarce, and what is available now is around $2 per cartridge, from a company(PPU) in Serbia that still makes them. But, anyway---there's been a lot of scuttlebutt about how "Oswald could'na done it, with that junk italian rifle", especially on a video featuring Jesse Ventura shooting one, just a few years ago. But, he did not prove anything to littlebittymee. Most experts say that while the Carcano was not the impressive gun some of the other nations used, it was entirely serviceable and accurate. That yes, it was entirely feasible that someone with Oswalds' experience could have used, to commit the assassination. Bear in mind that James Earl Ray used a brand-new "high-powered rifle", that he'd purchased a few days before, to murder MLK with one shot, from a window situated at least as far as Oswald was from the motorcade. See? But yeah---the videos I watched demonstrated the capability of the Carcano. Oh, and another thing---most text will refer to it as a "Mannlicher-Carcano", and that is just wrong, wrong, wrong. Mannlicher was the innovator who developed the En Bloc cartridge clip, the the Carcano used. It was a steel, u-shaped clip, that held the 5 cartridges, so they could all be loaded into the rifle at once. See? During one of the early press conferences, the Dallas Police Official held the rifle they found at the scene, and said was a "Mauser", and held it aloft for the cameras.(see photo). But--that's not a Mauser, which was the weapon(bolt-action "high-powered rifle") used by the Germans and many other countries, during the same time frame. Nope. The guy is definitely holding aloft a Carcano. But yeah---that misstatement of fact has been something for the nutty schizoid conspiracy buffs to gnaw on for years. Yup. Anyway--Carcano #C2766 is stored away in the National Archives, in the DC area. I also posted a photo of youtubers Hickock45 and also Gun Jesus, so known because he supposedly is never wrong.2023-01-18 (6).jpg 2023-01-28 (3).jpg2023-01-28 (4).jpg2023-01-28 (5).jpg

I watched Louis C K’s comedy special at Madison Square Garden last night. After thanking people for coming, his opening joke was sympathizing with audience members who had to hide their attendance from friends and relatives. He said “I i know you have at least one person in your life you won’t be telling about this performance.”

his show was decent and very good in places.

His Netflix show “Sincerely” won the Grammy for comedy recording in 2022.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-30-23 at 7:03pm.

Thread Information