Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading in 2023?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I understand that not everyone can be vegetarian or vegan for a variety of reasons. It's a tough argument to deny that reducing the consumption of red and processed meats, mild exercise, and maintaining an appropriate weight are somewhat basic to reducing heart attack, stroke, and some cancer risks and may help prevent dementia. I suspect if one hunts for the contrary they will find it.

Like my doctor has said, everyone dies of something, but cardiovascular disease and cancer top the list.
    I work with a number of Indians (company half owned by an Indian family). They are vegan. They are quite fat. The amount of fried goods in Indian cuisine is very high.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I work with a number of Indians (company half owned by an Indian family). They are vegan. They are quite fat. The amount of fried goods in Indian cuisine is very high.
    I took a couple of Indian cooking classes from a mother-daughter team who were slim and beautiful, but they talked about the high percentage of fat in their traditional cooking. They adjusted their recipes fir less fat. They taught Northern India cooking. I do not remember if it was all vegetarian, but it may have been.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I took a couple of Indian cooking classes from a mother-daughter team who were slim and beautiful, but they talked about the high percentage of fat in their traditional cooking. They adjusted their recipes fir less fat. They taught Northern India cooking. I do not remember if it was all vegetarian, but it may have been.
    Yes, it's true that Asian Indians have a lot of obesity and heart disease compared to other populations, but that's consistent in Northern and Southern India. Southern India is where vegetarianism is more prevalent, as you probably know. It's not just because they are vegetarian/vegan that they are overweight--all Indian cuisine tends to be cooked in unhealthy fats and is very high in grains an low in fruits and vegetables. They also tend to be more sedentary than people in the West. My own anecdotal evidence having lived and worked in an area with a very high population of Asian Indians is that when they immigrate here, they adopt the less healthy aspects of Western diet, like processed and fast foods. At least that's what my Indian colleagues told me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Indian food of all kinds is delightful, but it's pretty much all carbs, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Indian food of all kinds is delightful, but it's pretty much all carbs, all the time.
    Unless fats! Cooking in oils…essential!

Okay----I am reading a book called: "Boss", by Mike Royko. You kids are prolly too young to remember Mike Royko; he passed suddenly in the 1990's at a very young age. But yeah--he had written for the Chicago Tribune for a long while. Not sure where his body is buried. So anyway--the subject of the book is the longtime Mayor of Chicago, Richard P. Daley, who held the office from 1955 until he died in 1976, or so. Also, he was a major player in party politics--the Demmacrats. The book was published in 1971, BTW. It's very entertaining, but I stopped to put it down during a lengthy discussion of some of the judgeship appointments. I'll resume reading, this evening. But yeah---it gives you an idea of the workings of machine politics, and those darned demmacrats. Chicag government was technically not a one party system, but in reality--a one-party regime. All of the apponted officials, bureaucrats, and right on down to the street-sweepers are party loyalists. Yup. Hope that helps you some.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Unless fats! Cooking in oils…essential!
    Yeah--carbs and fats together are problematic. See "Randle cycle." Delicious, though.

Yppej
    Lots of lentils in Indian cuisine, which is protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Lots of lentils in Indian cuisine, which is protein.
    I like lentils, but a cup contains about 2 to 1 carbs to (incomplete) protein (50/24).

There was an article today in the Wash Post about lentils. Ancient and interesting food source - much better for the environment too as they grow easily without a lot of water or fertilizer. I am not a fan but am trying to incorporate into our diets with soups etc. I have also read that many nonorganic beans/pulses are dessicated with Roundup so organic is best.

Thread Information