Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading in 2023?

From Jan 1, and I'm probably forgetting some:

- Island Farming: History and Landscape of Agriculture in the San Juan Islands, Boyd Pratt
    - Lime: Quarrying and Limemaking in the San Juan Islands, Boyd Pratt
    - Bea Wolf, Zach Weinersmith
    - The Art of Receiving and Giving: The Wheel of Consent, Betty Martin
    - Light ― Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting, Fil Hunter
    - Between the Tides in Washington and Oregon: Exploring Beaches and Tidepools, Ryan Kelly
    - Why Good Sex Matters: Understanding the Neuroscience of Pleasure, Nan Wise
    - Baba's Kitchen: Ukrainian Soul Food: with Stories From the Village, Raisa Stone
    - Living in Japan, Alex Kerr
    - How to Defend Your Lair, Keith Ammann
    - The Case Against the Sexual Revolution, Louse Perry
    - Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
    - The Call of Poohthulhu, Edward M. Erdelac
    - Bad Sex: Truth, Pleasure, and an Unfinished Revolution, Nona Willis Aronowitz
    - I Contain Multitudes, Ed Yong
    - An Immense World, Ed Yong
    - Nights of Plague, Orhan Pamuk
    - A Fairly Honourable Defeat, Iris Murdoch
    - Afterlives, Abdulrazak Gurnah
    - Photography, a Feminist History
    - Fierce Appetites, Elizabeth Boyle
    - The Word Hord - Daily Life in Old English, Hana Videen
    - Origin - A Genetic History Of The Americas, Jennifer Raff
    - Harrow The Ninth, Tamsyn Muir
    - Fuji XT5 User's Manual

I started An Immense World and got pulled away. I'll get back to it soon, but found it fascinating. The world us humans perceive through our five senses doesn't always line up with the perceptions and senses of other evolutionary lineages. It makes you wonder, as the song goes, what is real and what is an illusion. Of course, since time and space may also be a human construct, it all starts to overload logic anyway.

It's possible you might like the biographical book,
    Short Nights Of The Shadow Catcher: The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis. I did.

Yppej
    Our fluoride expert witness just lent me The Fluoride Deception and Pregnancy and Fluoride Do Not Mix

Alex Stewart
    Portrait of a Pioneer
    by John Rice Irwin

Very interesting read! A biography… written in the 1980s. Just read how his ma made wormwood candy with molasses to expel worms from the kids. He expelled over 50 at one time (some over a foot long)! Shows how the people lived in the hills of Tennessee. Later is a chapter on doctoring which should be interesting… herbs used, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Alex Stewart
    Portrait of a Pioneer
    by John Rice Irwin

Very interesting read! A biography… written in the 1980s. Just read how his ma made wormwood candy with molasses to expel worms from the kids. He expelled over 50 at one time (some over a foot long)! Shows how the people lived in the hills of Tennessee. Later is a chapter on doctoring which should be interesting… herbs used, etc.
    I have always liked the common name for Artemisia, “wormwood”, which evokes for me witchy potions and fey forestry images, but I don’t know how much of it is poisonous. I imagine it does a number on one’s gut health, as well as doing a number on intestinal parasites.

The Artemesias are beautiful ornamental plants and I need to put a few into this Hermann property now that I have lots of room to plant ornamental perennials.

Well, recently I received two books--one from one son an one from another.

One son gave me Pema Chodron's "How We Live is How We Die." The other son gave me "Pimp: The Story of My Life" by Iceberg Slim. So either my sons have very different personalities and interests, or they each have vastly different perceptions of me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

One son gave me Pema Chodron's "How We Live is How We Die." The other son gave me "Pimp: The Story of My Life" by Iceberg Slim. So either my sons have very different personalities and interests, or they each have vastly different perceptions of me.
    funny

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have always liked the common name for Artemisia, “wormwood”, which evokes for me witchy potions and fey forestry images, but I don’t know how much of it is poisonous. I imagine it does a number on one’s gut health, as well as doing a number on intestinal parasites.

The Artemesias are beautiful ornamental plants and I need to put a few into this Hermann property now that I have lots of room to plant ornamental perennials.
    Interesting….

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/mugwort...-a-difference/

Maybe an attempt to broaden your horizons - at least in their eyes?? LOL. At least they thought of you.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Oh gosh, Iceberg Slim.

Pimp

And, the partially autobiographical novel Whoreson by Donald Goines.

It’s been decades since I thought about those titles.

Back in the day these were WILDLY popular in my urban core library system. I cannot emphasize to you how long our library holds lists were for them and how often we had to replace copies, etc.

The politics of offering these titles were…interesting. Our biggest North side library (synonymous with African American clientele) did not hold copies, or else it had just one, because the branch manager didn’t want that filth in her branch. So, the small branches surrounding hers held most of the copies, supplying them to the big African American branch through holds system. Her library patrons wanted materials she wouldn’t supply. There was a long history of that with this branch manager.

These books are as awful as they sound BUT they filled a VERY important niche, stories of ghetto life for black audiences. They were seminal in that they were among the first popular reading material written for black audiences.

What on the world prompted your son to give you this book? It has to be at least 40 years old, it is not a current title.

edited to correct the Donald Goines title.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-28-23 at 4:10pm.

Thread Information