Thread: New computer or repair old one??

New computer or repair old one??

My nine year old Mac Mini has always worked like a champ but ever since installing updated software it is full of issues. I am not a tech person and only use it for internet so wondering best way to proceed. Take it into a repair place for diagnostics and who knows what sort of parts/repair or just get a new one for $600?

My personal opinion having worked on a Mac since going on my own as a freelancer in 2008, is that 9 years is pretty much like a 90 year old person. Since 2008, I'm on my third Mac. If you like Macs, I'd invest in a new one.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My life is too short to fk around with equipment that doesnt work. If I am going to have creaky old pieces of equipment around they had better have beautiful, classic styling, like old cars.

We are jettisoning our 9 year old Hewlett-Packard Windows 7 computer now, I hated it from day 1. I have moved entirely to Apple world other than printing. Getting a wifi printer for this Mac is the last step.

If you only use it for the internet, I'd probably see if a repair shop would give a free or cheap estimate. From the resident luddite, me, if you wanted to play around a little bit, I'd delete your unused files and apps and clear your browser, all of which are probably on a help page or utube. Again, nothing ventured. But I'd agree that 9 years is getting pretty old and I wouldn't invest much time or money or frustration into it.

Agreed, a great machine to try to learn how to do system cleanup, yourself on, but long in the tooth hardware to software wise, unless you were going to switch to a lighter weight Linux environment.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it. If you can get a cheap repair estimate, then sure, try to do that. Also, I'd suggest not trusting a repair shop with a blind owner who may think that you're some famous person based on Rudy Colludy's opinion of you. If you leave your computer with someone like that they may put some random dick pix on it and try to claim that those are yours. And then get all butthurt when twitter refuses to post those pics.

Thread Information