Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Movies?

2023 Movies?

Took DH to see Eighty for Brady Saturday afternoon. It was sweet and funny, but totally predictable and a bit corny. I love Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda in Grace & Frankie and they work well together here too.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Is that the name of that film with all those old ladies? I am I mean women my age? I’ve seen clips for it, but it just seems like obvious pandering to women of my age.

Of the academy award nominated films I’ve seen a few. I think I’ve seen everything I want to see on that list.

So, I've seen:

Banshees of Inisherin--happy to see them win any of those nominations
    Elvis--would be OK with Austin Butler winning, except that people who impersonate other people always seem to have the advantage.
    Tar--nah
    To Leslie/Andrea Risenborough--I heard about all the campaign controversy, so of course I was dying to see it. I watched it one night when DH was away (not his kind of movie). Her performance was very good. The movie was nice, but very slow and predictable (addict goes from bad to worse and then pulls herself out of the hole)
    Maverick--double nah

Want to see:
    The Fablemans
    Everything, Everywhere, All At Once
    The Whale (I love Brendan Fraser)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, I've seen:

Banshees of Inisherin--happy to see them win any of those nominations
    Elvis--would be OK with Austin Butler winning, except that people who impersonate other people always seem to have the advantage.
    Tar--nah
    To Leslie/Andrea Risenborough--I heard about all the campaign controversy, so of course I was dying to see it. I watched it one night when DH was away (not his kind of movie). Her performance was very good. The movie was nice, but very slow and predictable (addict goes from bad to worse and then pulls herself out of the hole)
    Maverick--double nah

Want to see:
    The Fablemans
    Everything, Everywhere, All At Once
    The Whale (I love Brendan Fraser)
    OK, maybe I want to see the whale. I think I do want to see every thing, everywhere, all at once.

I don’t want to see the Spielberg film because I’m tired of being bored in Spielberg films.

I saw maverick, Tar, banshees. I’m glad I saw them. I wasn’t especially entertained by Maverick and I got up to go to the bathroom during the big dramatic scene because that kind of stuff doesn’t interest me but I liked seeing Tom Cruise and we saw it in the big theater, and DH liked it.

I saw Emily the criminal, and I don’t know if Aubrey plaza was nominated for her performance. It was pretty good.

I thought Elvis was entertaining, but an overdone Hollywood extravaganza. Tom Hanks is a favorite and he was good, but a slight disappointment. A good movie, but I'm not giving it any awards other than maybe costumes and filming. I've yet to see the Fablemans, which seems like another top contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I thought Elvis was entertaining, but an overdone Hollywood extravaganza. Tom Hanks is a favorite and he was good, but a slight disappointment. A good movie, but I'm not giving it any awards other than maybe costumes and filming. I've yet to see the Fablemans, which seems like another top contender.
    I saw Tom Hank on the Graham Norton show and he was talking about the original version, Ove, that he was thinking could be an Oscar contender when his wife made a comment. Made me wonder if he thinks we are too stupid to watch the original?

That said I saw a preview for what I thought was a new movie, and it turns out to be several years old. The Greatest Beer run ever. I would like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Took DH to see Eighty for Brady Saturday afternoon. It was sweet and funny, but totally predictable and a bit corny. I love Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda in Grace & Frankie and they work well together here too.
    My Mom loves to go to the movies, but has trouble now following anything remotely complex. She did not enjoy "A Man Called Otto" although she loved the book a few years ago (probably could not read it now) and friend/hired caregiver found it depressing. Our friend was talking about taking her to see "Eighty for Brady," and from your description, it sounds like that would be a perfect fit for them both.

I am not a movie watcher - but having read A Man Called Ova - I was happy to see that Tom Hanks had bought the English movie rights. I loved the movie, we laughed, we cried. Maybe because I trend to be a bit grumpy the older I get I could relate to many of his quirks! Highly recommend. We have Netflix, but again rarely will take the time to watch an entire movie - it is a huge time commitment! Though Sunday as I was sorting through boxes of financial records to toss, I randomly choose Seven Pounds with Will Smith. I had never heard of it before - I just looked it up and see that it came out in 2008! I thought it was very good. I missed "The Whale" - but my wife said I would have to see that one myself! She likes action movies.
    Last edited by Greg44; 2-8-23 at 11:52pm.

I watched Banshees last night and found it odd yet mesmerizing. I had to look up meaning to understand a little better. Metaphor for the stupidity of war between neighbors, ie Irish Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    My Mom loves to go to the movies, but has trouble now following anything remotely complex. She did not enjoy "A Man Called Otto" although she loved the book a few years ago (probably could not read it now) and friend/hired caregiver found it depressing. Our friend was talking about taking her to see "Eighty for Brady," and from your description, it sounds like that would be a perfect fit for them both.
    From you what you say, I think she would enjoy it. It wasn't my first choice, but my DH has dementia and I thought it would be funny enough for him to enjoy.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information