Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Radical Traditional Catholics

My friends that were raised Catholic said basically when mass was in Latin they had no clue what was going on. I was raised Lutheran and since they broke away from the Catholic Church much of the rote stuff both churches say the same. So even though I haven’t been to either in years if I go to a funeral or other service I know much of what to say.

I love the old Catholic Churches in Europe. They are so ornate and beautiful. I spent a week in Rome so went to many. In the Tuscany region of Italy we were driving around and happened upon a little church where the monks do a service with much chanting, etc. It’s actually famous and I read about it years ago and then stumbled upon it right before mass which we stayed for of course. There’s something very comforting about the rituals and services so I can see why people get hooked. I see it as hitting the easy button for life’s problems.

I do appreciate the architecture of many churches and I love stained glass windows. I look forward to the day that all the beautiful churches become museums, and the not-so-beautiful churches get bulldozed or converted into something of actual use.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I look forward to the day that all the beautiful churches become museums, and the not-so-beautiful churches get bulldozed or converted into something of actual use.
    Many have expressed that sentiment over the centuries. The Church has outlived them all, per gratiam dei.

Churches are big businesses and no way are they letting go of the power and money. I wouldn’t expect that to happen Rosa.

Many churches do good in their communities. I know that’s not a popular sentiment, however.

Okay---tellya what: the Cath'lick minority here has done a LOT of benevolent work, over the years. . Meanwhile, the Whoop-N-hollar bible thumper church people focus on Super Churches, the gory crucifiction of Jesus, Fund-raising, Helping Iz-Real, proselytizing in Affrica & Asia, and growing their congregations. Plus, propagating conspiracy theories. Much disdain is secretly directed at the cath'lics, for the usual reasons. I know at least two locals, born as cath'lics, that will not admit it, and go to whoop-n-hollar fundy churches, in order to fit in. But yeah--that is true, according to mee, and I have no dog in the fight. I'm not a church person. Hope that helps you some.
    Last edited by littlebittybobby; 2-14-23 at 1:26pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    There’s something very comforting about the rituals and services so I can see why people get hooked. I see it as hitting the easy button for life’s problems.
    I think the people who are doing good in their communities (the minority IL and bobby are talking about) do not go to church to hit the easy button on their lives. They are living a faith that demands a lot of them. Bonhoeffer calls that "costly grace."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information