Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: old music

Okay---0Here's an oldy that I've liked, since it was a current tune. Yup. Late 90's. So anyway, I been listening to covers on youtube, and there are a coupla renditions that're pretty good. There's even a Leo Sayer version, that has him playing harmonica. So then---I go doing some reading, and it turns out that at one point, the Bidens---THOSE Bidens---hijacked it as their theme song! But no--as usual I never paid attention to the lyrics, only the music sound. See? But yeah---I still like the tune; it is not the first time a recording I like has been used by an entity I do not care for. Anyway--it's "You get what you give", originally by an ad hoc group called "the New Radicals". Nooo, as far as I know, they aren't touring 50 cities this year, filling arenas with nostalgic middle-aged tickick buyers. Hope that helps you some. Thankk mee.
    Last edited by littlebittybobby; 4-13-23 at 12:24am.

Okay---I suddenly decided I don't like the type of music I've liked, and now ONLY like the kind of so-called "music" I've always disliked! But yeah---there's an Americana artist---or was--the late, great Red Sovine. He's went to be with the lord many years ago, after having a hard attackt while driving along in Nashvull, running a red light & hitting another car, and dying on account of his injuries. So anyway---his "music" is what you call "spoken word", where he clearrly enunciates mawkish lyrics to generic background music prolly borrowed from summa Elvises' backups in his gospel music. But yeah---some people might think its' corny and sappy, but thats way way I like my music, now. Yup. There's some red Sovine on youtube, if that interests you. Thank mee.

Okay---I came back to reality. Don't like that Americana type o' music I was talking about. So anyway---I was youtubing awhile back, tryin to think of one from about 30 years ago. But then---yesterday---I remembered. See---the vocalist, who gets the credit for being the main thing in this recording, died in an unfortunate incident involving the po-lice in LA, shortly after making this record. But yeah--that's another story for another time. It was a one-hit wonder, and prolly the record producer & session musicians deserve credit, as was definitely a group effort. It's kinda synth-pop jazz infusion R&B. Great recording. But, it's called: "Drowning In Your Eyes", by Ephraim Lewis. That said, it isn't the lyrics that I appreciate; it's the musical sound. S-o-u-n-d. Not sappy lyrics. See?

Okay---In the world of Youtube, which features everyone showing what they can do, you have Musicians that record play-alongs. What they do is, play along at home with a studio recording of a popular song. A lot of them are drummers, many are electric bassists. Some, are guitar players. Well, the record I mentioned previously doesn't have any covers, but it does have a play-along by a guitar player, which greatly enhances the tune. I will say that even though that guitar-player definitely gets-into the song, it could use more wore work. But, that said. it does enhance the original recording. I recommend that you take a look at it.

Okay---One thing about the music in THIS hick town is---they HATE synth music. Gotta be bankos and string bass and acoustic guitar. The closest thing acceptable is steel guitar. I realize that way too much of todays' NEW music that you hear on the radio is electro-hip-hop garbage, with the vocalists put through the electronic shredders, to make it very un-natural. It's just fake, fakje, fake. But, I think it is very useful--to a point. Your idol, 'Carts, played the Mellotron very well on summa the Beatpools recordings, like strawberry fields. Or maybe--it was George Martin, incognito. Yup. That being said, the other night, I fell asleep listening to youtube letting them pick the songs, and woke UP to shut it off, after hearing a very third-rate rendition of some old Beatpools song. It was way poor by youtube garage-band standards. Well, what it was was a LIVE performance by 'Carts in NYC, prolly 15 years ago, with some band he put together to tour with, minus the three other Beatles and
    George Martin. If the old Beatpools sounded that bad, back in the day---they'da never made it! But yeah---only a sucker wants to attend a 'Carts concert. No wonder Dems get the idea they can tax these fools heavily; they have money to burn. Hope that helps you some.

Okay---For you kids that just know I;m always wrong(ha), I can recommend a contemporary rockabilly group that rivals Stray Cats and Buddy Holly & The Crickets, among others. In their own way, of course. They're called: Lara Hope and the Ark-tones. But yeah--scads of youtube videos of them. Listen a minute, like I do, and you'll admit they're good. VBut, that's about all. Wonder if they tour? No doubt. Morer on this later. Thankk mee.

Okay-----Look at this photo. This just turned up, today. But yeah--See what I mean? 2023-05-10 (4).jpg

Okay----I was snooping on summa Those People who set the standards, around here, ta see what kind o' dumb music they like. So anyway---this one local who seems to like everything that I DON'T like(ha), is a big fan of Jamey Johnson. He has gone to one a Johnsons' concerts, and all the other locals envy him. But yeah---who is Jamey Johnson? Well, he's a down-south type who performs Music for VERY conservative Hippies. It's all sappy lyrics, clearly and slowly enunciated, while he strums along. His Fans(VERY conservative hippies) in the concert hall are mesmerized. Yup. But not me. File Under: Music I can't stand. Hope that helps you some.

Okay---Another one I stumbled across & tripped is the music of Mary Heather Hickman. So anyway--she has this brassy voice, & sings in a monotone with a cultured suthun' accent. But yeah---it's like white female Rap, where all she does is lament on the mess she's in, on account of um--makin' the wrong life choices. Yup. But yeah--she's got a VERY studio-contrived mix of accompanying instruments--the fiddles &^ banjos, etc. , which ius the sorta-good part. Plus--doing duets with herself. They all do it, nowadays. Yup. No melody, though. Who needs it, when you've got her prollems? Ha. See?

Okay---Two of my cases, who are "nice people", but um--unsophisticated ho-heads, traveled alllll the way to Trashville,a distance of 800 miles, one-way, 'cause they had tickkicks to see two 70's has-beens, live, and karaoke-ing to songs they had MUCH help recording, back in the day. But yeah--the double feature of TWO mega-stars that are each well into their 70's cost $100 and UP to see! Well, my test cases(attendees) said it was "awesome & amay-zeen" and sounded great. Plus, you know they ate their way all the way. They've already had perfessional weight-loss help, that cost $$$$. Prolly paid for by her gommmint pension. Ha. Sure--you betcha. What-everrrr.

Thread Information