Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: old music

old music

I love watching music videos on youtube. New, old, foreign, whatever. And over the years that I've been doing this youtube has started to get a sense of what I enjoy so it serves up lots of videos that I didn't know I wanted to watch. This song, for instance, is one I remember from my childhood because my dad listened to the country music radio station in the car when there wasn't any interesting sports on. Watching the video all I could think was "dang. I must be old because this is from a whole different world from today." And then my next thought was "I wonder if I can find a video of "Don't it make my brown eyes blue?"" And so youtube will get to know me just a little bit better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRis1kfzD-I

Sorry, but I could only take about ten seconds of that one!

Okay----there is no old music, only old renditions by old artists. I too, like YT, and I spend some time in the late hours looking for improved covers of music that were popular, at one time. But yeah---there are old geezers who aren't willing to retire from performing "new" music. Check the photo--it says geezers Mick & Carts are forming up an ad hoc duo for a music project. So anyway--why don't they just call in Willie Nelson & Saul Pieman, and make it a quartet? Maybe perform at the Stoopid Bowl at halftime, while Muh-donna does a strip tease. You betcha. Ha. Hope thatt helps you some. Thankk Mee. 2023-02-23 (5).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Sorry, but I could only take about ten seconds of that one!
    Now THAT'S Country! So, how about Harper Valley PTA, by Jeanne Riley? Or: Ode To Billy Joe, by Bobby Gentry? Actually though, they are all very melodic; it's just that the lyrics are kind of cringy. See? But yeah--I'm not a lyric person, especially when they sometimes get in the way of a good tune. Actually, one of MY favorite 60's albums was "A Tramp Shining" with Irish tenor Richard "Dumbledore" Harris singing and much orchestra music. Songs by OK composer Jimmy Webb. That's the one with the "someone-left-the-cake-out-in-the-rain" song. Yup. I even went to see "A Man Called Horse"(featuring Harris) at the Fireweed Theater in Anchorage. Hope that helps you some.

Okay---another one from the 70's(which was generally a music wasteland IMHO) that I liked, though the lyrics were too weighty, is "Shannon" by Henry Gross and all the accompanying instrumentalists.

Old music? I was singing this the other day.

Or late bosses ex's grandfather that he screwed up with, before moving here. (Pistol Packing Mama)

Old?

Define old?

Okay---TMS--Now you got me going on Medieval Music, and there is a ton of it on YT. It is, what I would classify as "Classical Ambient" music. Yup.

To me, the deltas have a dept I rarely can find in the classical music, and this is probably my favorite.
    I'm not interested in learning to listen to music, learning to listen to Jazz, learning to listen to the music of the centuries.
    The same way, I don't enjoy most things that are done has a profession, as a role, a path.
    I like poets that write in the recess from the factory shift, it's honest, it's unimportant, uncommitted, which makes it valuable.

I am surprised by how much I enjoyed some of these old music clips. I was especially enchanted by the hammered dulcimer music.

Now I'm going to segue into a weird post in which my new cat, old music, recent discussions on censorship, and LBB's disdain for lyrics all intersect to some degree.
    Since I first saw Louie's profile on Petfinder, the song "Brother Louie" by the Stories has been stuck in my head. I didn't really mind because it's a pretty good song.
    https://youtu.be/C6yLdrkP-Bk
    I mentioned this to DH, and he thought I meant this song by the Kingsmen:
    https://youtu.be/3EqzTiDc-1k
    Nope, that wasn't the one I was thinking of, but our soon-to-be cat sure has a popular name. DH said something about obscene lyrics, so that sent me down the rabbit hole where I found this rather amazing article:
    https://www.indystar.com/story/enter...ns/2240339002/
    The TLDR version in a nutshell is that an awful lot of people who had no idea what the lyrics were, nevertheless seemed pretty well convinced they must be obscene.
    I'm pretty sure there is something more productive I was supposed to be doing rather than this important research . . .

Thread Information