Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: old music

Okay---I already told you kids that the local-yokel music scene here is lousy. Yup. For example: an upcoming show at the fancy-schmancy opera house over here features the old and moldy Jackson Browne, with tickkicks ranging from $80 up to $250. I wouldn't walk across the street to see him for FREE, so much IU detest his "music". Ugh. But yeah---These People figure he's a good, solid brand name from AM radio. Well, I useta change the channel when they'd play his records, so annoying was he. But yeah---I'm staying home. Hope that helps you some. Thankk mee.

I saw Jackson Browne back in the day. Never a big fan, but went with a group of admirers. I fell asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I saw Jackson Browne back in the day. Never a big fan, but went with a group of admirers. I fell asleep.
    Yup. Point well taken. Reminds me o' the time I went to a (free) shakespeare play at Droopy Drawers U, when I worked there. But yeah--I fell sound asleep during the play, and went home during the intermission. So anyway---I got to give them collige kidz credit for mem-o-rizing their lines from the archaic script. Bo-ring. Yup.

Okay---another listening project. Trying to find good covers o' Jethro Tull. Kind of scarce, though there are a handful o' good good ones. The prollem may be a lack of involved rock-oriented flute players. But yeah---hopefully there will be some nice renditions of their music, as time goes by.

I have been reading Elijah Wald's book, Escaping the Delta

The book is subtitled "Robert Johnson and the Invention of the Blues".

Reading the book brought back memories of an audio (AM radio) world that I lived in during my teen years. Then I went on Youtube to listen again to some of the same recordings.

Radio exposed me to a certain mass market genre: such as in 1960 Buster Brown "Fannie Mae". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVNcqb2a3KA

There's a lot of YouTube videos showing people listening to different artists for the first time. I really enjoyed seeing their reactions to anything by The Carpenters. Most had never heard of them but almost all fell in love with Karen's gorgeous voice and the arrangements. Such a diverse group of listeners; a few left speechless or even in tears.

Youtube just served up a song from high school JP life, Life in a Northern Town by Dream Academy. I wouldn't call it one of my all-time favorites, but it was fun remembering blasting it from the single speaker in the dashboard of my family's 75 Nova as my friends and I were driving aimlessly around Denver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXnulANF8g

And from a different part of music history (and JP life) my favorite organ piece. The Widor Toccata from his Fifth Symphony. My first boyfriend, in the early 90's shortly after I'd gotten out of college, was a very talented church organist. I still have the bible he stole from the church he worked at at the time. (He gave it to me because he was worried about my soul after learning that I am an atheist. For better or worse a stolen bible didn't change my lack of belief in religion. Perhaps if it hadn't been stolen from Jesus...) Sadly he died much too soon (10 years ago or so), after becoming a meth addict and committing suicide by not taking his HIV meds. So many happy memories. And so much sadness that he was never able to find his place in the world and is no longer a part of my life.

This is an interesting rendition of the piece, performed slower than it typically is, but who am I, or anyone else, to say what's right since it's being performed by the composer himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8vz1D_L_OE

I was somewhat impressed with a utube video of a girl band called Zepparella that does cover Led Zeppelin songs. When the Levee Breaks. It's just classic rock to me, but might be old to bobby.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Youtube just served up a song from high school JP life, Life in a Northern Town by Dream Academy. I wouldn't call it one of my all-time favorites, but it was fun remembering blasting it from the single speaker in the dashboard of my family's 75 Nova as my friends and I were driving aimlessly around Denver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXnulANF8g
    Oh god. Youtube just served up one of the most dreadful songs from my high school time. I saw an interview of Grace Slick some years back where she commented that a lot of older rockers should have called it quits a decade before they did. And I immediately thought of this song from their Starship days. It was another one that we were blasting on the mono speaker of the Nova my senior year of high school but man, what a crappy song compared to their earlier stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b8AhIsSYQ

Thread Information