Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silicon Valley Bank

As Tybee noted a moment ago, Signature Bank (SBNY) is in FDIC receivership.

Western Alliance Bank (WAL) based in Chandler AZ, claiming to be present "wherever bidness happens", could also be sweating this weekend. I wish them well.

PacWest Bancorp (PACW) 3/10/2023 press release: we... want to reiterate that Pacific Western Bank is a well-performing, well-diversified full-service commercial bank.. I wish them well also.

Too big to fail? Is this a movie we've seen before?

Okay---I reckon that before the dust settles, one O' the high-rollers from Sillycone Valley will pick up that Bank for a song, and it'll be back in business. Prolly need it, just to cash their paychecks.  Yup. But yeah--You can take that to the Bank, as Baretta used to say. So anyway---back in the early fifties, there was a Hudson racer who wasn't a front-runner by any means, but he got by without factory support until he got hit HARD in a crash in 1955, and though he survived, he quit racing the next year and lived to 85. Yup. See photo. Thankk Mee.2023-03-12 (8).jpg2023-03-12 (9).jpg

Not to worry. They are being bailed out.

Yes. The day after Janet Yellen said there would not be a bailout, the President was taking a victory lap.

The markets love that kind of consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Yes. The day after Janet Yellen said there would not be a bailout, the President was taking a victory lap.

The markets love that kind of consistency.
    A bailout by another name is still a bailout. Eventually the cost will be passed on to us. It seems like increased bank regulation would reduce the risk of future events, which the GOP typically fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    A bailout by another name is still a bailout. Eventually the cost will be passed on to us. It seems like increased bank regulation would reduce the risk of future events, which the GOP typically fights.
    I think this was more about incompetence than inadequate rules. There are already thousands of pages of banking regulations. In this case, regulators failed to spot the mismatch of maturities between assets and liabilities.

That could be. Though I don't know how far we can trust banks and depositors to be competent and how much can be regulated. If they are not competent enough to have trust in managing the publics money something should change. When this happens and they are somehow bailed out each time, there is not a whole lot of incentive to change on their own. I imagine it will be an ongoing discussion.

Thread Information