Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apparently I am Uber fashionable

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I have noticed a trend in the past year.

Ads on social media, using identical photos and wording, for what look like legitimate goods. The photos are typically lifted from the site of someone who actually makes and sells the goods you might be interested. The text seems to be vaguely AI generated. The ads are pure scams, the company with the ad may not even exist, it's all a bunch of shell companies that harvest money and ship nothing, or that ship nothing like the item pictured.

Meanwhile the legitimate producer of those goods gets driven out of the market, as their one real ad is buried in the sea of quickly-thrown-together fake ads.
    yes, I have heard that they use stolen photos. But honestly at this stage, I think the vendors I’m talking about are making up beautiful pieces of clothing that photograph well because they’re all photographed on Chinese women. The designs are beautiful and interesting but I don’t believe these are the products you get if you buy them. You can’t even trust reviews necessarily because these companies generate hundreds of fake reviews.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-14-23 at 12:34am.

For some really ridiculously expensive Hobo-Chic rumpled clothing, go to this website: https://magnoliapearl.com/ . I have seen this clothing in a hoity-toity Canyon Road clothing store in Santa Fe.

Consignment stores and sometimes (if-you-are-really-lucky) Savers here can have some really excellent clothing when the rich gallery-hoppers get tired of their wardrobes. Santa Fe is a great place for consignment shopping for clothes and furnishings, though even second-hand it can still be pretty expensive. I splurged a little the other day and bought a really cute vintage-inspired dress that'll be great for my gallery sitting job.
    Last edited by SiouzQ.; 3-17-23 at 8:47pm.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    For some really ridiculously expensive Hobo-Chic rumpled clothing, go to this website: https://magnoliapearl.com/ . I have seen this clothing in hoity-toity Canyon Road clothing store in Santa Fe.

Consignment stores and sometimes (if-you-are-really-lucky) Savers here can have some really excellent clothing when the rich gallery-hoppers get tired of their wardrobes. Santa Fe is a great place for consignment shopping for clothes and furnishings, though even second-hand it can still be pretty expensive. I splurged a little the other day and bought a really cute vintage-inspired dress that'll be great for my gallery sitting job.
    These rumpled clothes are rather cute and they have some unique styling to them, unlike the rows of grandma shirts in my post! While I would need to be committed to a mental facility if I pranced around in those rumpled yellow lacy bloomers, some young women would look very cute and hip in them.

I look at Free People fashions now and then, and I like them too.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-17-23 at 4:56pm.

I too, actually like some of those Magnolia Pearl fashions. The material they use for them is THE SOFTEST COTTON I have EVER felt. They really are very exquisite, but I would never spend that much money on clothing. I actually surprised myself that I splurged $48 on the second-hand dress I got the other day. I have decided at my late, great age that I will not settle for things that don't quite fit me, or are uncomfortable in any way. I love thrift-shopping but I am very discernable about price & value to me. Sometimes it boils down to I'd pay $3 for this Savers thrift store shirt but not $6.

Every time I look at that Magnolia Pearl clothing I wish I still had a sewing machine because it would be really fun to take apart thrift store clothes and embellish them with other bits and pieces. Maybe when I retire from metalsmithing...

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    I too, actually like some of those Magnolia Pearl fashions. The material they use for them is THE SOFTEST COTTON I have EVER felt. They really are very exquisite, but I would never spend that much money on clothing. I actually surprised myself that I splurged $48 on the second-hand dress I got the other day. I have decided at my late, great age that I will not settle for things that don't quite fit me, or are uncomfortable in any way. I love thrift-shopping but I am very discernable about price & value to me. Sometimes it boils down to I'd pay $3 for this Savers thrift store shirt but not $6.

Every time I look at that Magnolia Pearl clothing I wish I still had a sewing machine because it would be really fun to take apart thrift store clothes and embellish them with other bits and pieces. Maybe when I retire from metalsmithing...
    I have a whole Pinterest board called “embellished clothing “that are inspirational to me and yes, I do have a sewing machine. But much of that you can do by hand.

Yeah, Magnolia Pearl is a whole different universe. And their models are suitably ethereal.

I pretty much wear Duluth Trading, Carhartt, Royal Robbins/5.11, Filson, Schaefer Outfitter, antique LL Bean, and various woolen items sourced from wherever.

Catch me on a fashion runway near you.

Ha! I regularly wear Value Village duds, and fill in with Amazon. I'm just an icon of chic.

I wear a t-shirt and men's Wrangler cargo pants to work. (I still can't find a pair of well-made, inexpensive women's cargo pants that seem to fit!) When not working, it is usually jeans and whatever shirt suits the weather.

ETA: Reminds me that I need to get some cargo shorts for the summer.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Daily wear: LL Bean and cheap stretch denim pants in the winter and LLBean "skort" in the summer. I have the same style in 3 colors. Typically worn with a Life Is Good t-shirt. If I can afford it, and it's on sale, once a year I buy something from Patagonia simply because I like their style of conscious capitalism. Favorite shoes now are Xero.

I don't buy a lot of clothes--only when something wears out as I have such limited space, so I don't feel guilty about buying brands that suit me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information