Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Maybe there really is no hope.....

  1. #1
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,742

    Maybe there really is no hope.....

    I am really busy these days and have not kept up with much news other than the banking crisis. Until yesterday. Apparently 7 police officers in Virginia suffocated an African American 28 year old innocent man. OTOH, these murderous sociopathic criminals hiding behind a badge were indeed charged with 2nd degree murder.

    OTOH, is there really any hope for this.country going forward? Is living in.the United States so great that we are supposed to normalize being vulnerable to sociopathic criminals masquerading as law enforcement? I just don't get it. And doubt I ever will. I really am ashamed of the United States today - especially as this is a. Systemic and B. Continuing. Rob

  2. #2
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,671
    The murderous sociopathic police officers in Hermann were shot by a lone gunmen and this made international news because our friends said they saw it reported in the UK’s Daily Mail. That wiped out 50% of our police force. But carry-on cherry picking the news Rob, continue to ask your faux deep philosophical questions which masquerade as one more opportunity to ride your hobby horse. You do you.

    Meanwhile, in my old home town, murderers won’t even get to court, there is no one to prosecute them. The prosecutor’s office is decimated by incompetence and concern of sending black men to prison. We do not like jailing minority persons even when they kill. Relieving the community from rampaging assholes with illegally obtained guns just is not our city prosecutor’s priority.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,357
    What ever happened with the Kim Gardner kerfuffle? It seems to have dropped off the radar.

  4. #4
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,671
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What ever happened with the Kim Gardner kerfuffle? It seems to have dropped off the radar.
    City Prosecutor Kim Gardener’s focus is now hiring and working with her defense attorney to stop the State from removing her from office.

    Prosecute criminals? She aint got time for that.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tradd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Suburban Midwest
    Posts
    7,587
    Meanwhile in Chicago, there are two black guys who were tortured into confessing to a murder in the early 90s. There was a Chicago cop who apparently encouraged this by his underlings. Anyway, they were released after 25ish years in prison, convictions overthrown, and are now waiting on their certificates of innocence. For some reason, Kim Foxx’s office is dragging their feet on something involved with issuing them.

  6. #6
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Meanwhile in Chicago, there are two black guys who were tortured into confessing to a murder in the early 90s. There was a Chicago cop who apparently encouraged this by his underlings. Anyway, they were released after 25ish years in prison, convictions overthrown, and are now waiting on their certificates of innocence. For some reason, Kim Foxx’s office is dragging their feet on something involved with issuing them.
    Those cases now coming forward like these are important. I am glad these guys got out, and sorry that they were railroaded.

  7. #7
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,742
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The murderous sociopathic police officers in Hermann were shot by a lone gunmen and this made international news because our friends said they saw it reported in the UK’s Daily Mail. That wiped out 50% of our police force. But carry-on cherry picking the news Rob, continue to ask your faux deep philosophical questions which masquerade as one more opportunity to ride your hobby horse. You do you.

    Meanwhile, in my old home town, murderers won’t even get to court, there is no one to prosecute them. The prosecutor’s office is decimated by incompetence and concern of sending black men to prison. We do not like jailing minority persons even when they kill. Relieving the community from rampaging assholes with illegally obtained guns just is not our city prosecutor’s priority.
    It's not cherry picking to be aghast and to give up on this country. There is no excuse whatsoever that this happened in the first place. I have every right to call this for the sheer evil it truly is. Rob

  8. #8
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,671
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    It's not cherry picking to be aghast and to give up on this country. There is no excuse whatsoever that this happened in the first place. I have every right to call this for the sheer evil it truly is. Rob
    You falsely conflate two issues.

    You can be aghast. You can be sad, mad, bad, or glad about any incident in the America you scorn. You are free to feel and think that way and express it because ya know, the First Amendment supports you in that.

    But yeah, it is IMO cherry picking news events to feed your unrelenting focus on “America Bad” that you have. And then, dropping in here to blast it.

    In my circles we call that “mental masturbation” and I recognize it ‘cause I go around in those circles as well (cough cough see Iris and her pet Drag Shows.)

    Rob, everyone is outraged when a police officer, hired to serve, engages in ANY inappropriate actions, just like everyone is saddened when a police officer, hired to serve, is killed in that service. I see it as two sides of the same coin and each is abhorrent.

  9. #9
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    14,786
    One solution to regain hope--stop watching the news. They have their own brand of cherry picking. I'm not suggesting you shut your eyes to evil or injustice--just don't let it take you down the black hole of this country is going to hell in a hand basket. The media sets us all up for bias, and not in a good way.

    An example is, if you see enough news items about children who accidentally shoot their friend or sibling or parent, you come to the conclusion that no parent should keep a gun in the house and if they do, they are exposing their child to all kinds of danger.

    Would you say the same about parents who have swimming pools in their backyards? Probably not. But the fact is that there are far more children killed in swimming pools than by "friendly fire" at home. But you never hear about those incidents in the news. I'm not making this up.

    https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/p..._us_2009-a.pdf


    ETA: Oh, well. Checking my figures and as it turns out, children are now much more likely to die from gunfire than anything else according to the most recent statistics.
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmc2201761

    But I still maintain the point that the news will drive you crazy if you watch too much of it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    25,671
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    One solution to regain hope--stop watching the news. They have their own brand of cherry picking. I'm not suggesting you shut your eyes to evil or injustice--just don't let it take you down the black hole of this country is going to hell in a hand basket. The media sets us all up for bias, and not in a good way.

    An example is, if you see enough news items about children who accidentally shoot their friend or sibling or parent, you come to the conclusion that no parent should keep a gun in the house and if they do, they are exposing their child to all kinds of danger.

    Would you say the same about parents who have swimming pools in their backyards? Probably not. But the fact is that there are far more children killed in swimming pools than by "friendly fire" at home. But you never hear about those incidents in the news. I'm not making this up.

    https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/p..._us_2009-a.pdf


    ETA: Oh, well. Checking my figures and as it turns out, children are now much more likely to die from gunfire than anything else according to the most recent statistics.
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmc2201761


    But I still maintain the point that the news will drive you crazy if you watch too much of it.
    More younger kids die in drowning accidents than in gun deaths, so you are partially right. When they start running the streets gun deaths in their age group increase. We see that in St. Louis.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •