Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe there really is no hope.....

The major cause of death in children IS firearms!

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...en/7529783001/

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The major cause of death in children IS firearms!

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...en/7529783001/
    maybe. The link you show does not break data down by age range of “ children” that I can see.The article you link hedges its report by saying “depending on [how] you define children” which is why I suspect they’re using ages up to 24 in their definition of “children” since that is what the CDC used in the chart shown by catherine.

There are many firearm deaths in the chart Catherine showed for youth ages 15-24 and for that group, the leading cause of death is firearms. The deaths in that age range skews the total of all children’s death by firearms in all age ranges.

For those under 15 there were more drownings deaths than firearm deaths in 2009.

That is all data from the year 2009, but that was the chart we were talking about. I would like to see exactly the same breakdown for the year 2022 since it’s entirely possible those categories of death for children have changed in 13 years.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-18-23 at 12:36am.

24. The average age of an Army Ranger is 24. Children.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    24. The average age of an Army Ranger is 24. Children.
    I understand something like 70% of young Americans are unfit for military service due to obesity, addiction, mental illness and inadequate educational status. The percentage capable of training as elite light infantry must be minuscule.

That worries me more than rogue cops.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I understand something like 70% of young Americans are unfit for military service due to obesity, addiction, mental illness and inadequate educational status. The percentage capable of training as elite light infantry must be minuscule.

That worries me more than rogue cops.
    A friend runs a warehouse. Every employee has to be able to run a forklift, which means you have to pass pre-employment and occasional drug tests. He says something like 85% of applicants fail the pre-employment drug test. He’s had issue with others coming to work smelling like alcohol and/or pot.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    maybe. The link you show does not break data down by age range of “ children” that I can see.The article you link hedges its report by saying “depending on [how] you define children” which is why I suspect they’re using ages up to 24 in their definition of “children” since that is what the CDC used in the chart shown by catherine.

There are many firearm deaths in the chart Catherine showed for youth ages 15-24 and for that group, the leading cause of death is firearms. The deaths in that age range skews the total of all children’s death by firearms in all age ranges.

For those under 15 there were more drownings deaths than firearm deaths in 2009.

That is all data from the year 2009, but that was the chart we were talking about. I would like to see exactly the same breakdown for the year 2022 since it’s entirely possible those categories of death for children have changed in 13 years.
    Per article… under age 19… age of children. Where are you getting data for drowning deaths?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You falsely conflate two issues.

You can be aghast. You can be sad, mad, bad, or glad about any incident in the America you scorn. You are free to feel and think that way and express it because ya know, the First Amendment supports you in that.

But yeah, it is IMO cherry picking news events to feed your unrelenting focus on “America Bad” that you have. And then, dropping in here to blast it.

In my circles we call that “mental masturbation” and I recognize it ‘cause I go around in those circles as well (cough cough see Iris and her pet Drag Shows.)

Rob, everyone is outraged when a police officer, hired to serve, engages in ANY inappropriate actions, just like everyone is saddened when a police officer, hired to serve, is killed in that service. I see it as two sides of the same coin and each is abhorrent.
    Don't drop dead of shock, IL, but I completely agree with your last paragraph. As you know I focus on illegal misdeeds by police - but I honestly don't want them dead. I'd much prefer that certain calls with high murder by the police ratios - such as mental illness issues, be handled by someone else other than law enforcement.

I do see common ground with you here. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Per article… under age 19… age of children. Where are you getting data for drowning deaths?
    Per article, 5th paragraph…”gun violence was the leading cause of death among children, teens, and young adults under age 25”

Deaths by drowning…per chart in message #9.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Don't drop dead of shock, IL, but I completely agree with your last paragraph. As you know I focus on illegal misdeeds by police - but I honestly don't want them dead. I'd much prefer that certain calls with high murder by the police ratios - such as mental illness issues, be handled by someone else other than law enforcement.

I do see common ground with you here. Rob
    That’s good. I always think reasonable people can find common ground.

The gun deaths numbers are abhorrant, true. The gun death numbers are skewed by youthful criminals, though.

Thread Information