Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: geriatricians

Statins negatively impact cognitive functioning. You couldn’t pay me to take one. They are only effective for men with previous heart attacks. If you read the studies they harm more people than help yet doctors still recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Statins negatively impact cognitive functioning. If you read the studies they harm more people than help yet doctors still recommend them.
    Could you point out a reference. I'd be interested. I seem to be ok so far but maybe I just don't know it.

Roger, a few years ago I researched studies in Pub Med but didn’t keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Roger, a few years ago I researched studies in Pub Med but didn’t keep them.
    Thanks. I don't trust all pubmed documents and doubt I'll hunt it down without more information. Anything from JAMA or the Lancet? Harvard School of Medicine or the Mayo Clinic?

Among all the commonly prescribed drugs the ones I would absolutely refuse are anti depressants. But research could change my mind if I still have cognitive function.

Both my FIL and his brother became diabetic after taking statins for a few years. It was just odd since they were both slender.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Both my FIL and his brother became diabetic after taking statins for a few years. It was just odd since they were both slender.
    I am pretty sure that is one of the risks I have read about. I'm not sure how common it is. I think any prescription drug carries risk. At last that's what the TV says.

On the topic of old people and drugs, my 88yo MIL is now on 13 drugs - blood thinners, statins, cholesterol, anti-anxiety, anti-depressant, blood pressure, antibiotics....She is alive and cognitive mostly but sits in a chair all day unable to move at her assisted living facility. Makes me crazy that is even allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    On the topic of old people and drugs, my 88yo MIL is now on 13 drugs - blood thinners, statins, cholesterol, anti-anxiety, anti-depressant, blood pressure...She is alive and cognitive but sits in a chair all day in a stupor. Sad that is even allowed.
    I'm not certain of the legal issues, but it might be possible for a person who has the right legal document to order all of those be ceased? Otherwise medical treatments are her choice if she is aware enough to made those decisions. I don't think anyone forces people to take those things. I'd be asking about palliative care.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Could you point out a reference. I'd be interested. I seem to be ok so far but maybe I just don't know it.
    Duane Graveline, MD wrote a book outlining his experiences with statins (ANECDOTE!), but most (observational) studies seem to be inconclusive re cognitive decline. Non-insulin dependent diabetes is a known side effect, but thanks to the SAD, nearly everyone is at risk for that. I'm happy with my cholesterol-rich brain and nervous system, personally, and have no desire to mess with it.

Rogar, what kind of doctor do you go to?

Thread Information