Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: geriatricians

Like Catherine's, my doctor seems to ration out tests so that I suspect she is given a certain number of them to allocate.

My primary care suggested lecithin and red rice yeast capsules for my cholesterol. They have made a small difference in my borderline numbers. I told her I would NOT take statins. She's pretty open to trying natural things before drugs. She'll order labs without a problem. I keep hoping she doesn't retire!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Like Catherine's, my doctor seems to ration out tests so that I suspect she is given a certain number of them to allocate.
    Also I think my doctors are hung up on "medically necessary" and maybe so far Medicare hasn't provided guidelines on annual comprehensive blood draws. So they won't get reimbursed if a seemingly healthy person with no symptoms demands a full blood test. That's my suspicion.

Jane, I have considered going to a lab and paying on my own. But last summer I applied for a term life insurance policy and in order to qualify for the premium rate I had to get a blood test that they paid for. I did qualify for the premium rate, so I'm fine for a little while. Next year I'll ask for another one from my HCP and see what she says.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    My primary care suggested lecithin and red rice yeast capsules for my cholesterol. They have made a small difference in my borderline numbers. I told her I would NOT take statins. She's pretty open to trying natural things before drugs. She'll order labs without a problem. I keep hoping she doesn't retire!!
    You could look into berberine, also. Personally, I couldn't care less about cholesterol, but I'm assuming my triglycerides are suitably low.

Herb: How effective were the dietary changes?
    I was able to bring my A1C from pre diabetic to normal and triglycerides down pretty quickly - didn't touch my LDL. When I've gone on reduced fat diets in the past, my liver just makes up the difference. My Dad and all siblings have elevated cholesterol, but no heart disease so far in my family.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I was able to bring my A1C from pre diabetic to normal and triglycerides down pretty quickly - didn't touch my LDL. When I've gone on reduced fat diets in the past, my liver just makes up the difference. My Dad and all siblings have elevated cholesterol, but no heart disease so far in my family.
    What did you do to make such a marked change?

What did you do to make such a marked change?
    Reduced the daily glass of wine with dinner to once in a while, and cut out sweets for a while. I need to have my numbers retested, as I am trying to find a happy medium between "cut everything fun out" and "life is short, eat dessert".

Thanks herbgeek. Also Jane… definitely gaining to check out berberine!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Thanks herbgeek. Also Jane… definitely gaining to check out berberine!
    I've had no experience with it, but I keep hearing about it.

I decided to take Medicare up on the free annual wellness visit with a primary doc this week. It will be interesting to see what that consists of. I know they will be stuck on whether I've had all the old people shots and tests. I'm a non-compliant patient where that's concerned.

Thread Information