Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Maybe There Really Is Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    No, they weren't going to come across the Atlantic. They wanted lebensraum in Europe.
    Sure, because once an aggressor is satisfied it’s never hungry again.

Okay--It pains me greatly, to see innocent Catts suffering on account o' stoopid people. Also, where's her catt carriwer? So anyway--if the ukrainian bad leadership really cared, they would step down, and sign an armistice with those Ruskies. Like the old saying: "Better Red than dead". Yup. There's a rumor going round the net, that just in case the misleADER HAS TOhas to flee and live in exile, he's already got a secure property lined up in Fla. See? You just know what they say about true rumors. But yeah---what the USA historically does is get more people killed and more destruction tone, by "helping", the Demmacrat way. True story. Hope that helps you kids some. Thankk mee.

Catherine, I agree that there’s 2 sides to the story of Ukraine. My DIL’s family lives in Poland and they are glad they joined nato because previously they were always being taken over. They hate the Russians for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine, I agree that there’s 2 sides to the story of Ukraine.
    What "side" justifies Russia's current actions in Ukraine?

Are you attempting to establish some sort of moral equivalence between the "sides"?

I’ll grant that geopolitics often involve amoral or morally ambiguous decisions, but every so often a situation arises that doesn’t have much gray area. I think that’s the case here. That there are, in fact, uglier things than war.

No gray area in the invasion of Ukraine in my mind. Putin has variously said that he's liberating the country from Nazis, that Ukraine has no sovereign standing, and that he's OK with genocide there. I'm relieved that most of the civilized world has taken up arms against him.

From what I have read Putin wanted the parts of Ukraine where the people are Russian, speak Russian and want to be part of Russia. Now I also hate Putin and who knows if that would have satisfied him but it was worth exploring through talks before the war started.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    From what I have read Putin wanted the parts of Ukraine where the people are Russian, speak Russian and want to be part of Russia. Now I also hate Putin and who knows if that would have satisfied him but it was worth exploring through talks before the war started.
    You could say that of many other countries previously occupied by the USSR. Does Great Britain have a right to parts of Canada for the same reason?

Yppej
    Wait a few years and the war will end eventually and Russia will have the Donbass and Odessa, and a lot of people will have been killed, injured and made homeless unnecessarily. The only beneficiaries are the weapons manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Wait a few years and the war will end eventually and Russia will have the Donbass and Odessa, and a lot of people will have been killed, injured and made homeless unnecessarily. The only beneficiaries are the weapons manufacturers.
    Sometimes the evil side wins. Is that any reason to give up on resisting evil? And there seems very little doubt as to who is the evil side here.

The Ukrainians obviously think their freedom is worth fighting for. As long as they are, I think anyone aiding them is on that “right side of history” I keep hearing about.

Thread Information