Thread: Oil Away

Yppej

Oil Away

So one day I was channel surfing and saw Dr. Furman talking about how oils are processed foods and not good, so I have stopped putting my usual lemon juice and olive oil on salads. I find with enough tomatoes or other moist ingredients I do not miss it.

I don't use the highly processed seed oils, but fruit oils like avocado and olive. Mostly, though, I like saturated fat like tallow, butter, bacon fat...

Olive oil isn't a processed seed oil, and is perfectly healthful as long as it's good quality. Saturated fats are the most stable and resistant to rancidity.

There are different ways of processing olive oil or other seed oils and I think expeller pressed is preferred over heat. If you don't miss oils, I'd not push the issue. Common store bought tomatoes are worthless.

Everything I've read indicates that olive and avocado oils are good for us. I love olive oil!

I used to follow Dr. Fuhrman. I didn't realize he was against oils of all kinds, but you are right--here's an article that says you should top your salad with nuts and seeds--not olive oil. I'm wondering if there's any wet dressing he uses? Maybe a splash of vinegar? Lemon juice?

But he is right--oils are processed. And some of them are only obtained through exploitation and deforestation.

https://www.drfuhrman.com/blog/84/ol...-a-health-food

ETA: here is an interesting article about the environmental impact of all vegetable oils. I have not checked any of the sources, but it's "food" for thought.

https://www.jeffnobbs.com/posts/the-...vegetable-oils
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

- Some fat is needed to absorb nutrients but that can be cheese, avocado, nuts etc. and not oil.
    - Oil is processed and fats within food are probably more filling than oil. On the other hand olive oil is not some new invention. It's ancient.
    - Serving vegetables in for ex olive oil can be a way to eat more vegetables because it makes them taste good. If you are eating a whole plate of plain steamed cauliflower or brocolli, ok very ascetic diet, you win an ascetic prize. But not everyone is so ascetic all the time. But eating a whole plate of vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli etc.) cooked in olive oil and seasonings (tomato or alums or etc.) is delicious, so it's an easy way to eat better (more vegetables).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    - Some fat is needed to absorb nutrients but that can be cheese, avocado, nuts etc. and not oil.
    - Oil is processed and fats within food are probably more filling than oil. On the other hand olive oil is not some new invention. It's ancient.
    - Serving vegetables in for ex olive oil can be a way to eat more vegetables because it makes them taste good. If you are eating a whole plate of plain steamed cauliflower or brocolli, ok very ascetic diet, you win an ascetic prize. But not everyone is so ascetic all the time. But eating a whole plate of vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli etc.) cooked in olive oil and seasonings (tomato or alums or etc.) is delicious, so it's an easy way to eat better (more vegetables).
    Good point, and who would even want to live longer if faced with the prospect of eating nothing but plates full of steamed cauliflower and broccoli?

Oils are hidden in a lot of baked goods, if it's really an issue. Palm or other oil is commonly in no stir peanut butter. At least from my home baking, it's probably in muffins, cakes, many types of crackers, possibly pies, chips and other snack foods, margarine or other butter substitutes. Most store bought granolas. Olive oil is in some of the canned marinara type spaghetti sauces. Skipping olive oil in salad dressing might be a relatively small item in some diets.

I read the "How Not to Die" book that was on the NYT best seller list for some time a couple of years ago and he was down on oils, too. But not all and not all nuts oils are created the same, if a person wants to study up and be more aware. I've rea that heating olive oils destroys any of their beneficial properties. I can't watch for it all, but palm oil seems to be especially bad for the environment due to deforestation of rainforests. There is a myth that coconut oil is healthy. It and other oils are in a lot of plant based meat substitutes. Then, there's animal fats.

I think one thing most whole foods people agree on--from vegan to carnivore--is that heavily-processed industrial seed oils should be avoided. Bought and paid for nutritional organizations would disagree.

Thread Information