Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing up an old, old Ponnyac

Fixing up an old, old Ponnyac

As you kids prolly know, they don't make Ponnyacs no more. Nope. Not for quite awhile. But, you know what? In the last 51 years, there are only a few months that I've gone without owning at least ONE Ponnyac! More specifically, the 6.6 litre, Gas guzzling, Tire smoking, Oil-burning Ponnyac GTO. The one they wrote a song about, back in '64. Yup. I took a photo o' one o' my Ponnyacs a coupla weeks ago, and thought: It's time to refurbish this one, what with the price o' used cars being at an all-time high. Especially old Ponnyacs like this one. After I got home, I went through my parts bins, and found about ALL the parts I needed, including a re-machined crankshaft, that I needed to COMPLETELY rehaul that old 71 Ponnyac. What I didn't have, I ordered online, for the lowest possible prices. As soon as I get my backyard cottage project cauight up, I'll pull the motor outta the Ponnyac, and commence rehabbing it. See photo. How do you like it?
    Hope that helps you some. Thankk mee.2022-10-07.jpg
    Last edited by littlebittybobby; 10-23-22 at 10:39pm.

Okay---You know what? I decided I better get nice, clean NEW pushrods for my ol' Ponnyac. Also, a choke pull-off. Do you kids smell a money pit? I might be better off getting a nice new Subbbaroo SUV, with a FULL warranty, so I can get out and DRIVE, instead of wasting MUCH money on an old, gas-guzzling junker. Yup.

My Dad was a Pontiac man and wouldn't own anything else until American car quality started to lag behind. I'll bet a refurbished GTO could be a good return on investment. They seem to becollectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    My Dad was a Pontiac man and wouldn't own anything else until American car quality started to lag behind. I'll bet a refurbished GTO could be a good return on investment. They seem to becollectable.
    Thanks, Rogar. I've had that ol Ponnyac since the 1980's, and have collected parts for it and stuff. It's about time I get started on it.

As a lover of many old things, like houses, songs, and my husband, I also have a strong appreciation for vintage cars. I'll go to a classic auto show any day. So, I think it's nice that you're trying to spruce up your old GTO!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    As a lover of many old things, like houses, songs, and my husband, I also have a strong appreciation for vintage cars. I'll go to a classic auto show any day. So, I think it's nice that you're trying to spruce up your old GTO!
    Okay---TYVM, C. Yes, they were a great car to cruise around in. There were many, many, many of them around in Iwah, back in the day. But yeah---I've rounded up the parts I need to renew the carburetor, and still need a gizmo called a "choke pull off", and also a choke thermostat. Some of those people may consider it unnecessary, but not me, cause I've lived up North.v So, you need a functional automatic choke. Those parts usta be cheap, but now they are obsolete; The only choke puill-off I can find is on ebay for $50, plus shipping. I am accepting donations, if anya you kids care enough to help out. Yup.

Okay---I got another ol' car projet I'll start on one a these days. I bet you kids don't own any Australian Cars, do you? Well, mine is kinda like a Hash, because it's a Holden Monaro that was badge-engineered to look like a Ponnyac. They exported them to the USA for just 3 years. Yup. But then, Ponnyac went bye bye, and then Holden went bye bye, just like Huttson and Nash. See? But GM lives on, building mainly ENORMOUS MONSTER pickup trucks. But yeah---the kids got ahold o' the imported holden/ponnyacs and tore them up, and there were'nt many to start with. Mine only has 62,000 miles on it. Yup. As soon as I get my backyard cottage project wrapped up and a couple other urgent to-do's, why I'll get on my old, obsolete orphaned car projects again.

Okay-----One other thing about Ponnyac Monaros---See---you have airheads who get all their "knowledge" from so-called "journalists" and crap, and when you say you've got a Au Ponnyac, they blabber false stuff like this: "Them ain't REAL GTO's, like back in the day; why everyone KNOWS the originAL gto WAS WAY FASTER AND everything." A false belief, because it is not true, at all. The 2004-2006 Holden/Ponnyacs wer WAAAY more car than those 60's GTO's. Way, way more power and handling. Yup. Plus, better fuel 'conomy & engine longevity. Better believe it.

Okay---this ain't myt Ponnyac, but it's my Chevy one-ton. See--one of the back leaf springs was broken, and so I got these at the wreckin' yard and refurbished them and put 'em on. They were on a long-wheelbase flatbed 1-ton, and it looked like they'd been replaced at one point. so, I pulled em, disassembled and sandblasted em, put in new bushings, painted the flats with EZ Slide(graphite paint), assembled them, then brush-painted 'em with black Rustoleum with hardener. Yup. See photo.2023-03-04.jpg

Reno has a huge classic car show/event yearly which brings in tons of people and classic cars. It’s fun to go to a few times but now have had my fill.

Thread Information