Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: May Frugals

May Frugals

Grocery shopping last week was a whopping $37.00! And that included some chicken. Have been sticking to a list and buying sales and necessities only. First time a weekly grocery bill has been so low in months!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Made an inventory of all freezer, canned goods, spices and liquor. Now all I do is check my list to see what I have on hand. Did this while wintering in TX and it enabled me to use up everything before returning north. Hoping this will help to clean everything out before we have to move??? Feeling your pain KayLR... we are hoping to move soon too.

Yppej
    Got pricing for my $60K service, scheduled for June so maybe it's a June frugal, from $594 to $225+ tax by reading the owner's manual to see what really is required: checking/replacing filters myself; getting tires at a place that rotates them for free; comparison shopping.

Happy: That is impressive! We are finding it a challenge to stay under $137!
    This is probably a debatable frugal, because nobody needs a garden fountain, but anyway... I've been wanting one for a few years. They range from cheap/ugly/tacky to extremely expensive and often grandly inappropriate for our little cottage of a home. Recently, I got an initial idea from someone on a FB gardening group. I bought a very nice pot and plugged the drainage hole, filled it with rocks from the garden topped by a layer of purchased "river rocks", filled it with water and put in a solar fountain I got from Amazon. It's pretty cute and came in at about $60.00. I'll try to remember to take & post a picture.

Rosa- I did similar. I originally wanted a galvanized watering tub, but the local store was out. I picked up a black rubber horse food dish for $10- I didn't think it'd look good at first, but I like the way it blends in with the foliage around it. I also got a floating fountain from Amazon, I think it was $12. It only works when the sun is shining on it as there is no storage battery. I'm ok with that- just wanted something to attract birds and oxygenate the water to slow down the slime formation. My fountain just floats on the surface (no river rock) so I can just remove it to clean the vessel.

Both the fountains sound nice. Would love to see pics.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Recently, I got an initial idea from someone on a FB gardening group. I bought a very nice pot and plugged the drainage hole, filled it with rocks from the garden topped by a layer of purchased "river rocks", filled it with water and put in a solar fountain I got from Amazon. It's pretty cute and came in at about $60.00. I'll try to remember to take & post a picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Rosa- I did similar. I originally wanted a galvanized watering tub, but the local store was out. I picked up a black rubber horse food dish for $10- I didn't think it'd look good at first, but I like the way it blends in with the foliage around it. I also got a floating fountain from Amazon, I think it was $12. It only works when the sun is shining on it as there is no storage battery. I'm ok with that- just wanted something to attract birds and oxygenate the water to slow down the slime formation. My fountain just floats on the surface (no river rock) so I can just remove it to clean the vessel.
    My wife just did something similar. She watched a few YouTube videos of hummingbird fountains and then made her own. This is a saucer from a planter to act as a water reservoir, a cheap plastic charger from Dollar Tree and a styrofoam ball to be used as a hummingbird perch. Add a $12 solar pump and it's done!
    Unfortunately, we haven't seen any hummers yet so not sure if they'll use it or not.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I love these ideas! I always worry about the water drying up and the fountain pump burning up. I'll have to think on this. It's time to put the hummingbird feeders out. We're late this year because we were away.

Yppej
    Tomorrow the furnace cleaning tech will come out for the third time as there is a leak that was not there before and I have been persistent at getting him to fix it vs living with it because it is a slow ooze. Hopefully the third time is the charm.

Impressive, Alan! Hope the hummers find it soon.

Thread Information