Thread: rosarugosa

rosarugosa

Thought of you today, because I bought one! (And a cranesbill, and an elderberry, and a scabiosa.). Happy Mothers Day to me!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thought of you today, because I bought one! (And a cranesbill, and an elderberry, and a scabiosa.). Happy Mothers Day to me!
    Sorry to rain on your parade, and I would probably consider it myself if not the fact that I hate roses, but this is a non-native that is considered invasive in your neck of the woods.

I thought you were planting natives?

https://www.missouribotanicalgarden....taxonid=286364

map showing where it is invasive:

70289667-D352-40E2-8B70-009C0339ECAC.jpg

—Iris, cheerfully providing buzzkill on Mother’s .day. Happy Mother’s Day to all!

haha, kidding. Rosarugosa is not multiflora rose so it’s not nearly as bad as that which is the bane of every Midwest farmer’s existance.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sorry to rain on your parade, and I would probably consider it myself if not the fact that I hate roses, but this is a non-native that is considered invasive in your neck of the woods.

I thought you were planting natives?

https://www.missouribotanicalgarden....taxonid=286364

map showing where it is invasive:
    I was wondering about that when I bought it... . I think I got it confused with one of the natives: New England rose (Rosa nitida) Pasture rose (Rosa carolina) Swamp rose (Rosa palustris) Virginia rose (Rosa virginiana). The map in the link says "no data available" in my county, but it has been reported invasive in surrounding counties.

Hmmm.. not sure what to do now. I've planted invasive in my garden in NJ, which had a beautiful variety of perennials, and within 3 years, all there was was gooseneck loosestrife. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll plant it down at the lakeshore and if it becomes invasive, it will either bug the neighbors, or as it spreads they will think it is beautiful. It's better than no vegetation, which is what we have now. OTOH, I read that it is a very, very thorny plant, which should also bug the neighbors no end.

The nursery has a 100% return policy, so maybe I'll just exchange it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh well, thanks for thinking of me!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I was wondering about that when I bought it... . I think I got it confused with one of the natives: New England rose (Rosa nitida) Pasture rose (Rosa carolina) Swamp rose (Rosa palustris) Virginia rose (Rosa virginiana). The map in the link says "no data available" in my county, but it has been reported invasive in surrounding counties.

Hmmm.. not sure what to do now. I've planted invasive in my garden in NJ, which had a beautiful variety of perennials, and within 3 years, all there was was gooseneck loosestrife. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll plant it down at the lakeshore and if it becomes invasive, it will either bug the neighbors, or as it spreads they will think it is beautiful. It's better than no vegetation, which is what we have now. OTOH, I read that it is a very, very thorny plant, which should also bug the neighbors no end.

The nursery has a 100% return policy, so maybe I'll just exchange it.
    I didn’t know there were roses native to the U.S. i guess I would have known that if I grew any.

DH has grown a couple of tea roses. I had “ The Fairy” decades ago which is a nice little plant but for its thorns.

I have some rosa rugosas that are now 25 years in the ground, and they haven't been invasive and have barely spread at all. These are the ones you see by the New England shore. Big rose hips, simple open flowers with 5 petals.

I have tried to grow rosa rugosa ever since we saw them in Maine. They do not like my yard, so they haven't been invasive. The thorns a thick and sharp, but the scent was so wonderful. I have given up on them, but I don't think Piedmont Maryland need worry about them as invasives. Now periwinkle.....oh my I've spent years ripping it out.

There is this cutie (has a very nice scent too):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_californica

which I tried to grow unsuccessfully.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information