Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: rosarugosa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    14,429

    rosarugosa

    Thought of you today, because I bought one! (And a cranesbill, and an elderberry, and a scabiosa.). Happy Mothers Day to me!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    24,907
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thought of you today, because I bought one! (And a cranesbill, and an elderberry, and a scabiosa.). Happy Mothers Day to me!
    Sorry to rain on your parade, and I would probably consider it myself if not the fact that I hate roses, but this is a non-native that is considered invasive in your neck of the woods.

    I thought you were planting natives?

    https://www.missouribotanicalgarden....taxonid=286364

    map showing where it is invasive:

    70289667-D352-40E2-8B70-009C0339ECAC.jpg

    —Iris, cheerfully providing buzzkill on Mother’s .day. Happy Mother’s Day to all!

    haha, kidding. Rosarugosa is not multiflora rose so it’s not nearly as bad as that which is the bane of every Midwest farmer’s existance.

  3. #3
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    14,429
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sorry to rain on your parade, and I would probably consider it myself if not the fact that I hate roses, but this is a non-native that is considered invasive in your neck of the woods.

    I thought you were planting natives?

    https://www.missouribotanicalgarden....taxonid=286364

    map showing where it is invasive:
    I was wondering about that when I bought it... . I think I got it confused with one of the natives: New England rose (Rosa nitida) Pasture rose (Rosa carolina) Swamp rose (Rosa palustris) Virginia rose (Rosa virginiana). The map in the link says "no data available" in my county, but it has been reported invasive in surrounding counties.

    Hmmm.. not sure what to do now. I've planted invasive in my garden in NJ, which had a beautiful variety of perennials, and within 3 years, all there was was gooseneck loosestrife. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll plant it down at the lakeshore and if it becomes invasive, it will either bug the neighbors, or as it spreads they will think it is beautiful. It's better than no vegetation, which is what we have now. OTOH, I read that it is a very, very thorny plant, which should also bug the neighbors no end.

    The nursery has a 100% return policy, so maybe I'll just exchange it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    24,907
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I was wondering about that when I bought it... . I think I got it confused with one of the natives: New England rose (Rosa nitida) Pasture rose (Rosa carolina) Swamp rose (Rosa palustris) Virginia rose (Rosa virginiana). The map in the link says "no data available" in my county, but it has been reported invasive in surrounding counties.

    Hmmm.. not sure what to do now. I've planted invasive in my garden in NJ, which had a beautiful variety of perennials, and within 3 years, all there was was gooseneck loosestrife. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll plant it down at the lakeshore and if it becomes invasive, it will either bug the neighbors, or as it spreads they will think it is beautiful. It's better than no vegetation, which is what we have now. OTOH, I read that it is a very, very thorny plant, which should also bug the neighbors no end.

    The nursery has a 100% return policy, so maybe I'll just exchange it.
    I didnít know there were roses native to the U.S. i guess I would have known that if I grew any.

    DH has grown a couple of tea roses. I had ď The FairyĒ decades ago which is a nice little plant but for its thorns.

  5. #5
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,937
    Oh well, thanks for thinking of me!

  6. #6
    Senior Member herbgeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,715
    I have some rosa rugosas that are now 25 years in the ground, and they haven't been invasive and have barely spread at all. These are the ones you see by the New England shore. Big rose hips, simple open flowers with 5 petals.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,739
    I have tried to grow rosa rugosa ever since we saw them in Maine. They do not like my yard, so they haven't been invasive. The thorns a thick and sharp, but the scent was so wonderful. I have given up on them, but I don't think Piedmont Maryland need worry about them as invasives. Now periwinkle.....oh my I've spent years ripping it out.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,627
    There is this cutie (has a very nice scent too):

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_californica

    which I tried to grow unsuccessfully.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •