Thread: American kestrels decline

American kestrels decline

The American kestrel is a brilliant small falcon... One of my great moments on a bicycle was looking up at an American kestrel flying above me on the same direction on the same trail. He had a great speed advantage!

The 6/5/2023 NY Times had an article about the mystery surrounding the decline in the number of American kestrels. They are not considered an endangered species, but since 1970 the population is down by half.

My limited experience of the species was in the vast Wisconsin highland forest. I wonder if there has been a general deterioration of the forest habitat due to climate change.

I've enjoyed seeing kestrels many times. Thanks for the reference to the NYT article.

Well, yeah---Human Beings are overpopulating and overconsuming and encroaching upon habitat and natural resources that other species have depended on for centuries. That has been going on for quite awhile. So anyway---it's one thing to identify a problem; it's another matter to develop a solution and implement it. For instance--how about we reduce the earths population, by half? In some ways, it would be effective; but it would not be politically viable for obvious reasons. Just like: Why not make it so people all need to use self-powered bicycles, to get around? No EBikes, either. I'm pretty sure it would be possible, but people are too used to the conveniences of just get out and DRIVE, and leaders who advocated my little scheme would be deposed. Yup. Well, that's all for now. Thankk Mee.

Thread Information