Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knees - finally know what’s wrong

Although they don’t like to do knee replacement young my friend got it in his late thirties because he was in so much pain and it lasted until he died at 71. Glad you can modify your diving if you need to Tradd.

I agree that finally knowing has such value! Good luck with the Dr. discussion!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have an appt with an ortho in a couple of weeks.

Ortho appt today. Doc is a diver, too (warm water) so he has an idea of what I’m talking about with dealing with dive boat ladder.

Both knees not yet bone on bone, but I am a candidate for eventual replacement. Got cortisone shot in both knees today. Ortho office requesting insurance approval for the hyaluronic acid gel injections. They’re five injections over five weeks. Can repeat every six months.

Oh, forgot to add - ortho gave me signed application for handicapped placard. I just have to fill my portion out and mail it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Oh, forgot to add - ortho gave me signed application for handicapped placard. I just have to fill my portion out and mail it.
    I hope these treatments work for you and you can stave off surgeries for many years.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. Hopefully less invasive treatments will work and it won’t get to the joint replacement stage. That said, I’ve known a few people that have had knee replacements and although not a speedy recovery they are all glad they had it done.
    my mom, among them as I have mentioned here. Both knees, one at a time. Yes she can walk better, and is in MUCH less pain (so sometimes nothing is 100% and she still has to use NSAIDS sometimes, but vastly better). If an 80 something woman (in fairly good health) can do ok ... age is not considered to make the surgery all that much more risky though from what I read. She got the steroid shots for awhile before then. Her knees were far too far gone for the non-steroid shots or stem cell treatments to be viable.
    Trees don't grow on money

I’ve known two people to do the injections you’re doing. One has had success with them. The other has two fake knees. Both are doing fine. Hope the injections work for you. That is certainly less invasive.

I had the hyaluronic injections in both knees in April, three rounds, once a week for three weeks. They were very hard to get approved by my insurance, as they are denying that treatment more and more (says my orthopedic doctor). I think they've helped some, but I still can get some knee pain here and there the more I do active things. My knees are nowhere near needing a replacement, so I guess it's just injections for me for the time being. I have what they call Chondromalsia, which from what I understand is roughness under the patella that irritates the tendons and ligaments as they slide over. The hyaluronic stuff is supposed to add lubrication under there. I may try cortisone next to see if that works any better.

I hope it helps your knees. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    I had the hyaluronic injections in both knees in April, three rounds, once a week for three weeks. They were very hard to get approved by my insurance, as they are denying that treatment more and more (says my orthopedic doctor). I think they've helped some, but I still can get some knee pain here and there the more I do active things. My knees are nowhere near needing a replacement, so I guess it's just injections for me for the time being. I have what they call Chondromalsia, which from what I understand is roughness under the patella that irritates the tendons and ligaments as they slide over. The hyaluronic stuff is supposed to add lubrication under there. I may try cortisone next to see if that works any better.

I hope it helps your knees. Keep us posted.
    Thanks, all.

Yes, I read online the hyaluronic injections are not even recommended by the American Orthopedic Society (or whatever they call themselves) and their efficacy is debatable. We’ll see what my insurance says.

Thread Information