Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Writers/Actors Strike

Writers/Actors Strike

So what are the issues, exactly? I just hear some vague stuff about streaming and AI and the usual “greedy CEO” stuff?

Is this just a sign that Hollywood is in a sort of commercial/cultural decline? I know I watch a lot more foreign content than I used to, thanks to streaming. Lately a lot of South Korean and Spanish stuff. Is our domestic “creative class” losing some of it’s piece of the entertainment pie and fighting over the leftovers?

I think also streaming has restructured revenues in a way that removes writers/actors from the feed trough, because legal/contractual technology has not kept pace.

I am about ready to blow up the TV anyway. The quality of programming - network and streaming - is mostly not worth watching IMO.

I got rid of my TV a few months back. I went without from 2003-2016, then got one to watch the Olympics that year. I just had a 24” with digital antenna. I hadn’t had cable since 1999 or so. I watch the local news on my iPad. I’ve always been much more into radio, since I was a kid. I listen to the BBC online daily. I also read a lot. I’ll watch stuff on YT or stream PBS.

We ditched cable several years ago and don't pay for any streaming. It's amazing how much there is to watch for free out there. Now if I could only get the internet bill lowered.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I am about ready to blow up the TV anyway. The quality of programming - network and streaming - is mostly not worth watching IMO.
    I find that Netflix usually has something decent to watch. This plus Prime are my main services.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-17-23 at 9:57am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I find that Netflix is he has something decent to watch. The plus prime are my main services.
    Especially if you do a little searching and don’t just browse their suggestions.

We watched 3 Days of the Condor with Robert Redford on Prime.
    Rented Red Joan--I made a list of potential spy movies to watch and they were both on it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I find that Netflix is he has something decent to watch. The plus prime are my main services.
    DH loves to watch movies. Every night at dinner time he asks, what movie do you want to watch tonight? Afterwards, typically we complain about the poor quality or weak narrative, or something, and I tell him, if your job were to produce enough entertainment to satisfy 300 million people 365 days of the year, you would be shooting for quantity, not quality. "It's not like the old days" when it was an event to have a new movie come out every so often and everyone would stand in line at the movie theatre to see it, and if you missed it you had to wait 10 years for it to appear on TV.

I am so sick of movies that I have given myself an earlier bedtime so I can escape the ordeal of sitting there through yet another mediocre movie.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine: I almost never watch anything. We plugged in the TV to play the "Lonesome Dove" DVDs, and I think that's all I've watched this year. I would just much rather read.

Thread Information