Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is travel to The Cool Destination really a good idea?

Our group tour went to the Louvre. When I saw the crowds going right to the Mona Lisa, I went left and saw parts of the museum that were empty but fascinating. The apartments, the Egyptian items, the sculptures, etc. Need to go back. My favorite time is January. It snowed on us and was lovely outside too.

Downtown Charleston has laws against short term rentals and hired a person to monitor it.

Okay---I went to Republic, to try out the old license bureau, which is under a new management, since the last time I was there. Also, there is an Aldis, so I went in since it was en route. Choclit bars were on sale. Yum.

Plus--and I forgot to mention this---There's a wrecking yard on the way to Republic, so I stopped there, too. How do you kids like that?

What is Republic?

Yppej
    As part of my diminishing distance plan to go green, I now vacation within a 40 minute driving radius of home. I have not run out of things to see and do.

I do make exceptions to hear presidential candidates, but that will soon end as they are starting to drop out now (Suarez, Johnson, Elders, Pence). I will not get in 13 like I did four years ago.

We go farther than that to go to the damn doctor, but we are doing similar and planning to drive to New Hampshire to eat turkey before the snow flies. Part of our life strategy in recent years is to try to live in tourist country, which we've managed with the last three locations, and then every day can be a vacation.

Okay---FB axed mee to elaborate a bit on Republic. Well, it is more suburban sprawl from Sfd, Zurra. As the Ford dealer used to say,it is located "one minute west of Sfd, at 600 mph". Ha Noo, they don't drive 600 here, but they sure try. Yup

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Once a destination gets featured in travel media, I no longer want to go there. Or if a destination has a cruise ship stop or port, I don't want to go there. We now pick places we can reach on a road trip or off-beat places not exploited by the ":me too" travelers.

I'm so glad we saw Venice 30 years ago before it became a cruise ship stop. And we went off-season and sometimes felt we were the only visitors there...it was magical.

One problem is we humans have exploded in population and we can be like lemmings all wanting to go to the new hot spot...

We recently visited the capital of PA--Harrisburg. You should see the capital building there. I'm not kidding--it rivals palaces and art museums one might see in Europe. Who would have thunk it?? https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=sta...ages&ia=images

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=state+capi...ages&ia=images

The architect was inspired by the Paris Opera House and St. Peter's Basilica in Rome...the art and tile and stained glass is marvelous. Free tours and no lines. My kind of travel.
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 10-31-23 at 7:47pm. Reason: added a link
    peaceful, easy feeling

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    We go farther than that to go to the damn doctor, but we are doing similar and planning to drive to New Hampshire to eat turkey before the snow flies. Part of our life strategy in recent years is to try to live in tourist country, which we've managed with the last three locations, and then every day can be a vacation.
    I go farther to the dentist, but I don't consider that a vacation.

Thread Information