Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: San Francisco.....

I've lived across the river from Portland most of my life. I've shopped downtown forever and one of my most memorable outings was taking my young granddaughter shopping at Christmas when it was just magical.

Fast forward: I won't go down there anymore, not to Nordy's or Powell's. It's depressing. Many storefronts are closed and shuttered. Tents, graffiti, and trash. I used to take the light rail over to OMSI with my grandson, but haven't for several years. Many like me still do business over the river, but we range out to the burbs, not downtown. There is a lot of theft now too. Businesses close because they cannot afford to keep repairing and recovering from break-ins.

I don't know who to blame, but the downward spiral really seemed to accelerate after all the rioting following George Floyd's death at the hands of police. People just stopped going downtown out of fear, so then business suffered, which led to many closings.

Affordable housing in the whole metro area is difficult to find.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Just heard on the radio news that that federal Dept of Health & Human Services has issued a work from home order for the foreseeable future for the employees at their SF office since the area around the office is unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Just heard on the radio news that that federal Dept of Health & Human Services has issued a work from home order for the foreseeable future for the employees at their SF office since the area around the office is unsafe.
    And in the 1980s I used to walk to UC Hastings a few times a week, which is on the edge of the Tenderloin District there, and it wasn't especially bad, though everyone at the time said it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I had to look it up to believe it. Ironic that it's health and human services. Into the foreseeable future. . That will probably get some attention from city officials? My article said it's the epicenter of fentanyl use with open drug dealing and drug use. You'd think that would be illegal. I assume homelessness has something to do with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I had to look it up to believe it. Ironic that it's health and human services. Into the foreseeable future. . That will probably get some attention from city officials? My article said it's the epicenter of fentanyl use with open drug dealing and drug use. You'd think that would be illegal. I assume homelessness has something to do with it all.
    I heard from a very mainstream media source - WGN AM radio in Chicago. I had to look it up myself.

I don’t mean to be snarky here, but why do you believe illegality of an action shuts down that action?

No response necessary, this is a rhetorical question.

Now, think about all of the cries for “ outlawing guns” and consider that my city of St. Louis where much gun play takes place has a majority of that gun play happen with guns that are in some way, illegally held.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don’t mean to be snarky here, but why do you believe illegality of an action shuts down that action?
    I mentioned that somewhat in jest, but maybe the humor was lost.

I mentioned that somewhat in jest, but maybe the humor was lost.
    Oh! Gotcha.
    I am not a serious person.

I think the film The Last Black Man in San Francisco from 2019 made a good portrait of the city and it's people's.

People who still live there, for what I've searched, mainly through videos, say it changed a lot, homelessness of the mentally ill being very dominant nowadays, it's not just in LA and NYC.

Thread Information