Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reminder - important documents

I remember reading in an article about the Lahaina fire that a couple had $50K in cash in a supposedly fire proof box. Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don’t try to protect an archive of tax filings. Wouldn’t the IRS have copies available if I needed them?

I don’t keep anything of significance in the cloud. All passwords to our financial accounts is on a thumb drive with a paper print out. We keep track of the paper print out and thumb drive. That’s probably excessively paranoid, but… To me, those are the only things that are really not available publicly. We keep it in a bag in a convenient place and we would grab it if possible. If not possible, I’m not sure it’s all that hard to re-create.

My state does not have abstracts for real estate. Those were very expensive and precious documents in Iowa, but not here.
    I wouldn’t count on a thumb drive being the only electronic backup. I hear lots of horror stories about those going bad. An extra hard drive might be a good second option.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I wouldn’t count on a thumb drive being the only electronic backup. I hear lots of horror stories about those going bad. An extra hard drive might be a good second option.
    That’s what Is recommended elsewhere, for sure. I just have not got around to it. I consider the real backup to be paper.
    I am not a serious person.

Well, I know someone who lost their home in one of the California wildfires. They had about a 20 minute evacuation warning. He took a duffel bag to his standing 600lb safe, and scraped each shelf clean, into the bag. When he was able to access the property 10 days later, there was a molten puddle where the safe had been. He was lucky they were home, could just as easily been off traveling.

For those with dogs, I recommend keeping extra collars and leashes, bowls, food and water in your car. You can get out a lot faster if you just pick up the dog and walk out, instead of locating and putting on collars and leashes.

Thread Information