Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: violent video games for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    Of course it has an effect. READING has an effect. I don't want the government controlling that, either.
    To me there is a big difference between outright censorship and simply limiting access by minors to something that is generally considered inappropriate for them. As far as I know no one in this case was talking about limiting the access to such games by adults or in any way censoring the games themselves. I'm almost always a fan of smaller government and less intrusion and I truly believe a huge part of our societal struggles are rooted in the current state of parenting. But this is a non-intrusive way in which the government can give parents a little support. It would not and can not do the parent's job for them. (Ha, parenting should be so easy!) It is not coming into your home nanny state style to take something bad away. It is limiting minor's access to something potentially harmful. That's not just semantics, there is a difference. If you feel the games are appropriate for your kids head on out to Wal-Mart and buy a couple. No one is stopping you.

I do not have a problem with my kids having limited access to tobacco or alcohol before they are a little more mature. Can they get either one? Of course, but in denying DIRECT access the law provides an opportunity for me to head them off at the pass. I also like the movie rating system. It doesn't necessarily stop them from seeing movies rated for more mature audiences, but it at least gives me a tool to use to help them determine what options are appropriate. Limiting their access to violent games only slows them down a notch, but that gives me a chance to get with them and take a closer look at the games they pick out. Any parent knows kids will not set limits themselves. We also know that no matter how hard we try we can not be vigilant 100% of the time. A tool like this is helpful.

poetry_writer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    To me there is a big difference between outright censorship and simply limiting access by minors to something that is generally considered inappropriate for them. As far as I know no one in this case was talking about limiting the access to such games by adults or in any way censoring the games themselves. I'm almost always a fan of smaller government and less intrusion and I truly believe a huge part of our societal struggles are rooted in the current state of parenting. But this is a non-intrusive way in which the government can give parents a little support. It would not and can not do the parent's job for them. (Ha, parenting should be so easy!) It is not coming into your home nanny state style to take something bad away. It is limiting minor's access to something potentially harmful. That's not just semantics, there is a difference. If you feel the games are appropriate for your kids head on out to Wal-Mart and buy a couple. No one is stopping you.

I do not have a problem with my kids having limited access to tobacco or alcohol before they are a little more mature. Can they get either one? Of course, but in denying DIRECT access the law provides an opportunity for me to head them off at the pass. I also like the movie rating system. It doesn't necessarily stop them from seeing movies rated for more mature audiences, but it at least gives me a tool to use to help them determine what options are appropriate. Limiting their access to violent games only slows them down a notch, but that gives me a chance to get with them and take a closer look at the games they pick out. Any parent knows kids will not set limits themselves. We also know that no matter how hard we try we can not be vigilant 100% of the time. A tool like this is helpful.
    Well said Gregg. Those of us who have raised kids know that despite our best efforts sometimes they get into things they should not. It isnt expecting the govt to police my child, its just common sense. Those who create such games stand to make billions off the sale of them. Greed is their problem.

I'm just curious.......of you who are glad the SC voted the way they did........do you have children?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I'm just curious.......of you who are glad the SC voted the way they did........do you have children?
    I have a five year old, and I agree with the decision. I’m not thrilled about her being exposed to some of that stuff. I’m even less thrilled at the thought of giving government the power to decide what is appropriate for her or anyone else to see or hear or read.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I have a five year old, and I agree with the decision. I’m not thrilled about her being exposed to some of that stuff. I’m even less thrilled at the thought of giving government the power to decide what is appropriate for her or anyone else to see or hear or read.
    You may get that - I don't see how any government regulation of the sale of any sort of media to minors can hold up after this ruling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    To me there is a big difference between outright censorship and simply limiting access by minors to something that is generally considered inappropriate for them.
    Well, no, there isn't. This is censorship in its most basic form... the government telling individuals what information they can and cannot have access to. I find myself in the very unusual position of agreeing with Justice Scalia on that.

As to alcohol and tobacco, as far as I know, there is no amendment specifically protecting one's right to access either of those. In this case, there is the First Amendment. That is what makes it different.

And CathyA, yes, I have three kids. Three grown kids, all of whom I was able to raise to be happy, healthy adults without the government making parental decisions on my behalf.

ETA
    And the movie rating system is a completely voluntary system on the part of the film industry. The theater has the ability and right to ignore it entirely in selling tickets and admitting individuals. It is not the government's program.
    Last edited by The Storyteller; 6-28-11 at 4:54pm.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    You may get that - I don't see how any government regulation of the sale of any sort of media to minors can hold up after this ruling.
    Except in the case of obscenity, which is governed by the "harmful to minors" standard.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    Except in the case of obscenity, which is governed by the "harmful to minors" standard.
    It didn't sound like they were making an exception for obscenity - and I'm sure some video games would fall into that category.

Good, in-tune parents probably are okay. But what about the huge numbers of parents who aren't involved with their kids and let them do just about anything? We have to live in society with these kids. Do we want these videos to be their teachers?
    True....it would be great if everyone was a good parent, but unfortunately, there's probably more uninvolved parents than we want to realize.
    We all want every freedom in this country, whether it ends up destroying the moral fiber of the society or not. I don't know where you draw the line. But I feel that freedom to watch this garbage will only infect us and bring us down.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    It didn't sound like they were making an exception for obscenity .
    Actually they were quite clear on that.

Thread Information