Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Job hunt

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Years ago I was taking an insurance class and one of my classmates told a story of being stopped by a cop for something and how she had called her lawyer up while dealing with the cop. My response was "you have a lawyer on speed dial?"
    That is been a practical consideration I’ve wondered about.

in calling my attorney from jail, my one phone call? “ My attorney “does a law practice of wills and trusts. She’s not even in my contact list. I don’t know who I would call.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

in calling my attorney from jail, my one phone call? “ My attorney “does a law practice of wills and trusts. She’s not even in my contact list. I don’t know who I would call.
    She should at least be able to recommend someone.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I suppose it's true that I could also say "I'm calling my lawyer" from speed dial. My friend B is a lawyer, but like your attorney, B doesn't do criminal work. She works for an insurance broker negotiating insurance contracts on behalf of her clients.

Another reason to be looking for a new job. I was at my concealed carry renewal class today and my Apple Watch starts blowing up with texts from a couple of salesmen and import manager. One salesman is brand new. There was this hot hot rush air freight shipment into LAX that was landing at 10 am and had to be customs cleared ASAP. I got the texts a little after 9, class started at 9, and I wasn’t going to get home until about 2 (we also have a range qual). I just told them I wasn’t available until at least 2pm. The new salesman starts demanding I leave wherever I was and go home (I have the Remote Desktop software on my personal a laptop so I can do occasional shit from home) and to the clearance. I said no. Salesman started again, and I said no means no.

They all knew about this shipment on Friday. If I’d been told about it, I could have done the clearance (simple and took no more than 10 min) before I went to my class today.

I will be having a discussion tomorrow with the owner (the nice one I like) who this new salesman reports to.

Lack of planning on their part is not an emergency on your part. Most of us had a sign in our office saying this because clients were infamous for wanting things that they knew about for a long time at the last minute.

The urgent air freight shipment that got dumped on me yesterday? The salesidiot knew about it on Friday, but couldn’t be bothered to let me know ahead of time. The import manager got pulled off the golf course and had to go into the office since she couldn’t login from home. If salesidiot had bothered to tell us ahead of time, we would have been able to take care of the shipment before we were occupied for the day.

Import manager and I were both told that if we objected to doing weekend stuff with no notice, we could go elsewhere.

I’m cancelling my Mexico trip for December. There is more than $1K in diving fees, airport transfer, food, etc., that I still have to come up with the cash for. Airbnb said I would get a 100% refund by cancelling this early. I’d have a credit for plane ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Import manager and I were both told that if we objected to doing weekend stuff with no notice, we could go elsewhere.
    Well, that's one good way to lose two employees!!!!

Hope you find something soon, Tradd.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The employer is not going to be able to keep good employees.

The idiot owner got an outside broker to do the weekend stuff, but he’s very angry about it and was making nasty comments about “working when we want to” because I objected to no notice on the stuff Sunday.

Thread Information