Thread: The joy of the right tool - compound action loppers!

The joy of the right tool - compound action loppers!

We've been using an old set of loppers for years, and I really struggle with branches that have any thickness to them. We've done a lot of pruning lately and even removed some large shrubs, and there has been a whole lot of cutting going on here. We went to the garden center the other day, and I picked up a new pair of compound action loppers. What an amazing difference! I feel so strong now, lol. The brand was Terra Verde Splash, and I'm sure I should have done some research/comparison shopping, but I didn't. I acknowledge that these were somewhat of an impulse purchase, although something that had been in the back of my mind for awhile. Anyway, I'm in love!

OH, we love those things and are on our second set - the first pair was pretty cheap but still amazing. Sadly, I tried to cut something a little TOO thick and now the ratchet mechanism is a tad dicey. I still use them on smaller stuff. Both pairs have telescoping handles, which are great for me, since I'm fairly short. Yay for "power assist" pruning, lol. Both of my siblings swear by them (both are 80+ years old and still trimming, lol).

I also love the ratcheting pruners. I think my husband got them from Harbor Freight for $14 several years ago. I bought a pair for a friend too. It's such a joy to have a tool that helps me do MORE with the same effort or less than I used to do.

I think we had a pair of these, but they’ve escaped me in our big move. But yes, that ratchet power was very nice. At the moment I’m letting DH do all the pruning. One of the joys of our yard expanding to 1 acre is that I can plant all the flowering shrubs I want. The downside of that is, of course, they need pruning.
    I am not a serious person.

Wow! Sounds like a great Homer Simpson gift for me to give to DH for his birthday in October!

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm sure he would be delighted, Catherine!

I don’t need ratcheting prune snips but i agree that the right tool makes such a difference. And I also admit that I spend freely on them. Recently I bought an electric tin snip for a project. What a fun tool! I’m ready to take up metalworking as a new hobby! ��

Thread Information